The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Acupuncture. Views? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/acupuncture-views-52684/)

writer23 04-14-2010 08:54 PM

Acupuncture. Views?

I have a vet coming out to give my new horse a look over, she is very holistic and specializes in chiro, massage and acupuncture (and comes highly recommended). My horse is ten, a very large boy and spent this past month getting back into work after a few years off - due to busy owner. He has a sweat patch on his neck (nerve damage) from a previous injury and can be very stiff. We do the carrot stretches, loads of bending and have been taking our time. I just think the stiffness should've loosened up a bit more than it has by now.

I've heard good things about acupuncture. Just wondering what people's experience with them has been?

shesinthebarn 04-14-2010 09:51 PM

I've had more experience with chiro and massage, but I've seen a few horses treated with accupuncture. I myself also get occasional treatments of all of the above! I've seen good results from it...especially in combination with other therapies. It sounds like your body worker is pretty well rounded, and may do a little of everything!
One story I can share is about a Stbd trotting stallion named Chocolatier. He was a rig (one testicle retained above the ring) and was being sold as a breeding stallion after his 3yo season. Of course beinga rig was an issue with the potential buyers, so the owners tried chiro cobined with accupuncture and within 3 treatments the testicle desceded and stayed there. He's now a happy breeding stallion with all the correct parts!
I have used accupuncture to initiate labour with my first son and it worked in 2 treatments...

writer23 04-14-2010 11:46 PM

That's amazing! I've been hearing really good things like your post, so I hope it's of value to my horse.

Perhaps I'll try it on myself too:)

CJ82Sky 04-15-2010 12:04 AM

if you do have acupuncture done on your horse, please let us know how it is. i've always been interested in it, and perhaps it will help my tb who has had numerous serious back injuries. i'd love to learn more. i've had great success with chiro and massage as well he just has many many issues and could certainly use the help.

good luck with your horse!

Pro 04-15-2010 12:05 AM

My horse (Pro) jumped off a bank on his previous owner and got injured so bad he could barely load on the trailer to get to the acupuncture lady. After the treatment they loaded him up, and by the time he got to our place there was a HUGE difference. I now use him almost everyday for hours at a time and he is doing great at 25 (this happened 3 years ago).

He has had 2 treatments, the second one helped a lot as well.

roro 04-15-2010 12:47 AM

I had one needle in me-JUST one needle for an Alternative Medicine class I was taking, and I was convinced. I told them I had heat and tightness in my neck and they stuck a needle in my arm, within a few minutes I could feel the difference and it lasted at least a week if not more. I have seen horses get it as well, but I didn't follow up on them. All I can say is that I felt a difference with just one needle, I'd assume that horses can feel a difference as well. If my horse had some sort of skeletal/muscular issue, I would consider it.

writer23 04-15-2010 02:17 AM

I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes!

I've been skeptical, but that's only because I haven't had any firsthand experience. Thus far I haven't heard any negative reports (online any in my horsey community), which makes me very happy. I just know how sore I am getting back in the saddle after an hiatus, can't imagine it is much different for my horse.