The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   This is WEIRD! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/weird-52688/)

HorseOfCourse 04-14-2010 09:35 PM

This is WEIRD!

So I was basically just wondering if anybody else's horse does this or if mine is..erm..special..

Today, my aunt pulled up to her house and looked in the pasture and my horse was laying down with all four legs straight in the air like rigor mortis or something. She wasn't rolling or anything, but just laying there. My aunt called her name a few times and she didn't resppond for a minute or so.

Should I be worried about her, this isn't something I've ever seen her..or any other horse..do.

Vidaloco 04-14-2010 09:39 PM

Your horse is special :wink::lol:

HorseOfCourse 04-14-2010 09:42 PM

Lol. I guess she likes giving me heart attacks.

Vidaloco 04-14-2010 09:48 PM

Maybe she just liked the warm sun on her tummy

skittle1120 04-14-2010 09:54 PM

Nah, she's not special.... My cousins Morgan does this just because she can sometimes... And I've seen mine laying in odd uncomfortable looking positions, but as long as their not against a tree and unable to move, I don't get to worried about it

writer23 04-14-2010 10:07 PM

LOL. That would've been such a weird sight. The only large animal I've seen with its legs in the air was a dead moose on the side of the road (yep, I live in Canadaland).

My Beau 04-14-2010 10:13 PM

The only horse I've seen do that is my neighbor's miniature horse. I was walking my dog one day past their field and saw her laying like that, knocked on neighbor's door and told him, went with him to check (he's not very horse savvy) and sure enough she was colicking because she had never been dewormed :(

She was okay though after a call to the vet & banamine... maybe your girl was slightly gassy today?

kmacdougall 04-14-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by writer23 (Post 605318)
LOL. That would've been such a weird sight. The only large animal I've seen with its legs in the air was a dead moose on the side of the road (yep, I live in Canadaland).

Hahahah I've also seen this!

HorseOfCourse 04-15-2010 10:12 PM

Maye she was. She was wormed not all that long ago though. 3 weeks maybe.

Wallaby 04-15-2010 10:22 PM

Hahaha that sounds hilarious (once you figured out she wasn't dead or something first, of course!)!
If it makes you feel any better, I used to know a mare that loved to have her belly scratched. she would literally lay down on the ground and pull herself along with her front legs as a way to scratch her belly herself. It was a daily thing too, she was constantly on the ground, moving like a weird palomino paint turtle. Good times. Haha