The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Buying this horse if vet check ok (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/buying-horse-if-vet-check-ok-52778/)

Cinnys Whinny 04-15-2010 09:26 PM

Buying this horse if vet check ok

6 Attachment(s)
This is a horse I am in the process of buying for $600, the last thing I am waiting for is the vet check/coggins. He's a 7yr registered stock paint gelding (APHA), but I think his "quarter" is really coming out, which is why I like him.

I have been working with him for about a month on the ground and he really really responds well to me. He backs, yields front end, yields back end, stops well with halter and without. I can also just about bend his head all the way to the shoulder on the left and he bends a little less to the right (but I've had horses that bend WAY less).

His owner has had him since he was a weanling and he was broke to ride at 2, then he sat in a field with his mama and NO work or riding until last summer. Last summer his owner rode him on trail most of the summer with no problem and then one day he suddenly "dumped" her and she never got back on him again. She is advertising him as only Halter broke because of this. I asked what size/type bit she used on him when she did ride him, she just said a regular one that came with the bridle (cheap nylon). I asked what size saddle he took, if he needed QH bars or a wide tree, she said she didn't know she just rode him in a regular western saddle. My consensus is that he most likely threw her because of bad fitting tack. She also didn't know how many hands he was, I measured him and his around 15 to 15.2.

He also has a leg that she said he cut on a wire fence when he was a yearling, that the vet said there was no tendon damage or other major damage and that it was just superficial. There is a LOT of proud flesh on it. He does not favor it in the least and when you feel it after working him on the lunge line there is no heat or increased swelling and it feels pretty smooth except for the actual scar. Yes, I am getting this looked at before buying.

I just want to know everyone's opinions on him as a potential pleasure horse who occasionally goes into the show ring. I know he won't be a champion dressage horse or eventer but does he have the conformation to make it okay in local shows over small fences or very very low level dressage? Or...am I already too attached to him to see his flaws and that he won't work well for this sort of thing.

Be brutally honest, please. I know when you get attached to a horse while buying it, you can become very blind to flaws. Oh and no that's not me in the blue shirt, that's my fiance'

armydogs 04-15-2010 09:55 PM

do not know anything about horse conformation, but he sure is handsome

Cinnys Whinny 04-15-2010 10:53 PM

Thank you, I think so too. It's too bad about the proud flesh on his leg, he might have been a great halter horse. Oh well...I still think he will make a good all around "fun" horse

ShutUpJoe 04-15-2010 10:59 PM

In the first pic is he just standing funny? He is a pretty horse. Annalie (my haflinger mare) came to me with a bit of proud flesh. I had the vet out to look at it and it's in one of those weird spots. He said if he cuts it off it'll just grow back (maybe even worse). So I've been putting Equaide on it and it's been healing (slowly). I'd rather it look like that than what it does now.

Cinnys Whinny 04-15-2010 11:06 PM

He was trying to reach his nose into the pen in front of him as there is a little filly in there that kept squealing at him, so he may have been standing a little "stretched"

Reiterin 04-15-2010 11:30 PM

looks nice to me.

rissaxbmth 04-15-2010 11:30 PM

He looks really good besides the scar. I think if you train him right he should be able to do just about anything (:
Good luck!

bethsone 04-15-2010 11:39 PM

I think he's lovely, as for the big scar i recommend Comfrey Ointment its the best for horses and people!!! Good luck and Congrats :)

romargrey 04-15-2010 11:49 PM

proud flesh is an indication of soft tissue irritation. If this happened when he was young, there should only be scar tissue on it not draining irritated tissue called proud flesh or pyogenic granuloma. Be careful as sometimes this is an indication that something deeper like an abscess can be under that area. He might have dumped her because his leg gets sore after use especially around the scar tissue. get some videos of him lunging and let us see him use that hind leg right and left with walk trot and canter

DustyDiamond 04-15-2010 11:54 PM

i love its face its so pretty