The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   difficulties picking a horses feet. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/difficulties-picking-horses-feet-52839/)

SuzieMc 04-16-2010 07:07 PM

difficulties picking a horses feet.

Hey my horse is about 3 years old. its not completely broken for riding but well handled and friendly. She really enjoys being groomed, but hates getting her hooves oiled and detests gettin her hooves picked. What can i do?

Vidaloco 04-16-2010 07:44 PM

She may just be at that age that she is testing you. Try to ignore her protests. Get hold of a hoof and hold on as best you can till its your decision to put it down. Don't put up with any "horse play" at this point in her life or you'll be dealing with it her whole life.

Roperchick 04-16-2010 07:46 PM

is she gets really dangerous about it loop a rope around her fetlock stand on the other side of her and pull the rope to pick the foot up. then hold it up as long as u want till she calms down and just repeat that until she is calm about it. then you can work on picking her feet up yourself and messing with them. tap her hooves like a hammer and just mess with her feet as much as you can.

Cougar 04-16-2010 08:04 PM

Is she used to you handling her legs? Lots of horses get their panties in a knot it seems as people only handle legs to pick them up. Other than that just do it lots. My 4 year old is going through the stage of not wanting her feet handled. So she has to pick up each leg 10 times ever day. It's boring but she has gotten the point. You kick at me, we're going to spend all afternoon doing this.

SuzieMc 04-16-2010 08:12 PM

Cheers, thats great advice. Think i may just spend some time on it and persist!!! :)

PechosGoldenChance 04-16-2010 08:26 PM

My aunts gelding is a back breaker and rotator cuff tearer! He's got thrush in the right front foot and is very sore (it's gotten much better now though). So everytime we go to pick up the left front foot, he resists so much because he doesn't want to put any pressure on the right foot. The hardest part is getting it up, thats the part that hurts your rotator cuff (muscle in your shoulder). If you get it up than you have to worry about him lifting up the right and expecting you to hold his weight and left front foot, thats the back breaker!!! Eventually he gives it to you. It helps when I go right in there and hit the back of his leg with an open hand and just immediately expect him to pick it up all the while leaning on him. He gives it to me than.

SuzieMc 04-16-2010 08:31 PM

Cheers again, she has no problem lifting the hoof up for me, just won't keep it up. Her feets in perfect condition so i know shes not sore, but just being a rascal!!

Cougar 04-16-2010 08:35 PM

Its a normal response that most try with you at least once. Just have to let them know it's not the response you want by repetition. Good luck with it. Most of us have been there at least once if you've had a youngster from scratch (or even some of those opinionated older ones).

My ancient old pony is such an old pro. You don't even have to hold her feet. You just stand by one and say up and she'll pick it up for you. Its cute for the young kids that are learning. It's nifty.

Vidaloco 04-17-2010 11:56 AM

Your right Cougar. Suzie be prepared to do the hoof dance :lol: Hold the foot, dance around while the horse hops on 3 legs, when she stands still for 15 seconds or so without fighting, put the foot down. Say good girl while you rub your aching back, move on the next foot and repeat :lol:

flytobecat 04-17-2010 12:11 PM

If need to use a rope, use a soft cotton rope -not anything with nylon in it