The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Ex-owner hits my horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/ex-owner-hits-my-horse-52842/)

twh 04-16-2010 07:34 PM

Ex-owner hits my horse

I ride with the lady who used to own my horse. For some reason, she thinks it is perfectly okay to hit my horse whenever she gets annoyed with him, claiming that he's "pushing her around". These are the times she hit him:

We went to her barn to try out a saddle. My horse started nuzzling with a horse in a stall. Rather than tell me to get my horse off (I was standing right there, and the other horse wasn't getting excited or anything), she grabbed my horse's rein and yanked him really hard twice.

Then today, he and a horse were sort of nosing while we were riding, and she reached over and hit him in the face (while I was on him, mind you).

When I called her on it, she had an answer down pat: when horses are in her barn, they have to listen to HER, and she couldn't explain why she hit him on the trail, except to say "That's how I treated when he was mine".

I'm not quite sure how to tell her to cut it out without getting into a fight.

I would be okay with this if he were putting her in harm's way. But he's not putting anyone in any danger.

Opinions?
Posted via Mobile Device

BFFofHorses 04-16-2010 07:51 PM

Hit her!!!! I kno some people like that. Tell them flat out not to hit the horse. Be honest and tell her its annoying. She might get offended but....

Cougar 04-16-2010 07:54 PM

I do not tolerate heavy handed people around my horses. Is there a reason your horse needs to be anywhere near her? (Board at the same barn and their stalls are close together?) I'd tell her she has no right to being that way towards our animal and from then on in set yourself and your horse up to not need to be around her.

Roperchick 04-16-2010 07:54 PM

if she hits him again tell her to f*** of hes not her horse and she has no right to touch him anymore. tell her you will report her to the barn managers and make sure theres consequences.

RadHenry09 04-16-2010 07:58 PM

That is what I was wondering too. Do you really need to be around this lady? If you dont like her hitting your horse tell her to stop, you dont appreciate it. You are your horse's voice and if you feel like something is happening to him that you dont like or approve of you should speak up.

Cougar 04-16-2010 07:59 PM

I wouldn't use foul language when approaching the subject as it will only get other people's defense going. Acting rude never accomplishes anything more than resentment. I've dealt with it before. Stay firm with your belief your horse does not need to be hit but there are other more tactful ways to get your point across.

I'd certainly take it up with the Barn owner or manager if you are boarding at the same property.

Ilovemelady 04-16-2010 08:15 PM

tell her that, that may be how you treated him when he belonged to you,but he doesnt anymore so dont touch my horse unless you get permission.

Roperchick 04-16-2010 08:27 PM

i didnt mean to actually cuss her out just let her know that thats not cool and you wont stand for it.

Jessabel 04-16-2010 09:29 PM

Do not be afraid to blow up in her face. She has no right to put her hands on your horse unless he's doing something dangerous, especially if you're right there.

If she ever gives you that "well, that's how I treated him when he was mine" crap again, tell her that it doesn't matter because he is YOUR horse now and how DARE she punish him for no reason right in front of you. If he does something wrong, it's your job to address it, not hers. If it had been me, I would have gone through the roof. To me, it's like a stranger coming up and spanking a child in right front of the mother.

Trish2010 04-16-2010 09:48 PM

Thats horrible. If it was me I would tell her she gave up any right to touch him when she sold him to you! I would stop riding with her.