The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Pair charged with killing horse with Pool acid (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/pair-charged-killing-horse-pool-acid-52845/)

WSArabians 04-16-2010 09:51 PM

Pair charged with killing horse with Pool acid

This is just sad and disgusting. I hope they get fed the same thing in jail. :-x
At least they are where they belong. People like make me sick.

Please note, BEFORE clicking on the link - There are GRAPHIC pictures.
The article is below for those who do not wish to view the pictures.

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/news/2010/04/039.shtml

Two people in Arizona are alleged to have killed a horse with an injection of pool acid.

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office have arrested New River residents Laurel George and John Henkle, both 54.

The pair were booked into the local jail on two counts of felony animal cruelty, two of misdemeanor animal cruelty and a class six felony for cruelty to an animal that causes protracted suffering.

A malnourished 15-year-old horse was also found on the pair's property and has been taken to a no-kill animal-care facility operated through the sheriff's office and run by inmates.

Deputies allege the 26-year-old Arabian mare was killed in early March.
An examination of the dead horse revealed that the mare died through a homemade injection of pool acid and sodium bicarbonate.
Police said in a statement they believed the method resulted in "extreme distress and pain" to the horse.

The surviving horse is now being housed at Sheriff Joe Arpaio's no-kill animal shelter, called MASH, which was created to house and care for animals that have been abused or neglected by their caretakers and rescued by the Animal Cruelty Investigative Unit.

Its aim, pending the outcome of court cases, is to have the animals rehomed into loving, permanent homes. The shelter is operated in a former jail no longer suitable for housing inmates. It is run by inmates.

Icrazyaboutu 04-16-2010 10:13 PM

Thats horrible! Were they poor and trying their best to get their horses fluids? Doubt it. I think its terrible and kind of silly how no one seemed to notice that the horses were staving. I would say maybe animal hoarders but they take care of their pets, not themselves... How sad. At least the horses are in better places...

ShutUpJoe 04-16-2010 10:30 PM

OMG Those pictures are so awful!

This is interesting:
"The shelter is operated in a former jail no longer suitable for housing inmates. It is run by inmates."

Indyhorse 04-16-2010 10:36 PM

That is disgusting. I can't quite fathom what exactly they were trying to do. If the wanted to put the animal down, and couldn't afford a vet, surely a bullet is cheaper and far more painless than the chemicals?

Rebelappy 04-16-2010 11:24 PM

that is horrible, if they couldnt care for the animals im sure an animal group would have taken them off there hands.. that is absoulutly the worse animal cruelity i have seen and i use to volenteer at the local humane society i cant belive no one notice a stench or anything before now really!

WSArabians 04-17-2010 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe (Post 607246)
OMG Those pictures are so awful!

This is interesting:
"The shelter is operated in a former jail no longer suitable for housing inmates. It is run by inmates."

I thought that was really neat!

HeadsUp 05-08-2010 12:04 PM

How disgusting. I hope they are put behind bars for a very long time. Glad the person picking up the body called the tip into the authorities, or the second horse may have suffered the same fate.