The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Purina Recall - Strategy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/purina-recall-strategy-52855/)

qtrhrsecrazy 04-16-2010 11:24 PM

Purina Recall - Strategy

Purina Mills recall: Horse, poultry feed may have metal fragments

Purina Mills LLC is announcing a voluntary recall of some horse and poultry feed manufactured at its Nashville plant because metal fragments have been discovered in some of the bags.

The St. Louis, Mo.-based company said Friday it was recalling two lots of 50-pound bags of Strategy Professional Formula GX horse feed and one lot of Layena SunFresh Recipe Pellet poultry feed.
The company says in a news release that it received five customer complaints but no animal health issues were reported.
The products were distributed in Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Indiana, Missouri and Virginia.
The following products and lot numbers are involved in the recall:
Strategy Professional Formula GX, Lot 0MAR24NST1A1; Strategy Professional Formula GX, Lot 0MAR24NST2A1; and Layena SunFresh Recipe Pellet, Lot 0MAR25NST2A1

WSArabians 04-17-2010 01:14 AM

Good thing I'm not a Purina fan!

My Beau 04-17-2010 09:12 AM

Me too! It's probably the last food I would ever feed.

Indyhorse 04-17-2010 09:34 AM

Thank you for posting this, qtrhrsecrazy! While I don't feed my horses Purina, I do feed Layena to my chickens - however they are still on the growth crumbles so I'm safe. Thank you!

Sophie19 04-17-2010 09:44 AM

Whats wrong with Purina? My barn is switching to it in August, so I don't really have a choice in the matter but still it would be good to know.

iridehorses 04-17-2010 11:10 AM

Actually I was never a fan of Purina, not because of anything negative but only because I thought it was too pricey. A week or two ago I went to a seminar, sponsored by Purina, at one of the local feed stores and I came away pretty impressed with the feed and the science behind it.

Metal in the feed can happen to any product but "hats off" to Purina for stepping up to the plate and recalling the feed. I've got to wonder if the feed I was using would be bold enough to do that.

PechosGoldenChance 04-17-2010 11:24 AM

Agreed with iride^^. I don't feed purina because it's quite pricey, but I also give them a thumbs up for recalling their own feed!!! Like iride said...I wonder if MY feed co. would do that???

nrhareiner 04-17-2010 12:24 PM

My feed dealer has a Purina days every year. Last one was postponed and is now set for Monday. I have used Purina feeds for years with all my reiners broodies and old horses. I have also used many other feeds over the years and pound for pound it is well worth the price and really is less expensive then some on the market today.

There is quite a bit of research that does onto their feeds. They have improved their formulas over the years in all their feeds. They are also the best I have seen to stand behind their feeds just like this recall. I have had bags that where not stitched well and came un-dun when you pick them up. They replaced very bag even if I only lost a bit of feed out of the bag. How many other manufacturers would do that???