The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Building Back Muscle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/building-back-muscle-52910/)

lilc0wgurl 04-17-2010 07:32 PM

Building Back Muscle

1 Attachment(s)
What can i do to help this? ...

[ATTACH]Ohawna[/ATTACH]

thunderhooves 04-17-2010 07:37 PM

I would like to know this too. My brand new mare has pretty much no back muscle whatsoever.
BTW, you have a cute horse, but his halter seems big on him.

lilc0wgurl 04-17-2010 07:46 PM

thanks. yes i know her halter is huge.

heyycutter 04-17-2010 08:16 PM

to build her topline i would do trot-walk , trot-canter, walk-canter, walk-trot transitions alot, and try to get her going forward when you ride, not just fast but tracking up and get her hind legs underher.
i did this with my boy and people complament his topline all the time

roro 04-17-2010 09:09 PM

The first thing that really strikes me about this picture is she is on the forehand. As long as she is heavy on her front, she won't build muscle properly. Practice turns on the haunches and turns on the forehand. Make straight lines followed by a turn on the haunches, and then another straight line in a different direction all around the arena. Backing the horse up can also help this.

At the moment, she is a train on one track. She is stuck and heavy, barreling over the front of herself like a train. What you want to do by using turns on the haunches is knock her off her tracks so she can move freely. What you are doing is rocking her weight back onto her hind so it isn't on her shoulders.

I'm bad at explaining things, so here's an article I found on what to do for a horse that is heavy on the forehand:
http://www.horseflashes.com/eventing_art4.html

lilc0wgurl 04-17-2010 09:19 PM

that actually made perfect sense , thanks

lilc0wgurl 04-17-2010 09:25 PM

atm i am unable to ride (broken collar bone) any suggestions on free lunge , or simple halter excersies?

writer23 04-17-2010 09:35 PM

Good article, roro, cheers!

roro 04-18-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilc0wgurl (Post 607965)
atm i am unable to ride (broken collar bone) any suggestions on free lunge , or simple halter excersies?

You can do most anything you can do under saddle in hand, walk or trot. I have done exercises such as turns on the haunches with just a halter, lead rope, and dressage whip multiple times. Once she is warmed up with those, you can lunge her.

Lunging her first would only re-enforce the way she is moving instead of correcting it, but if you do the halter work first and she is moving well then she can lunge. On the lunge line, try to keep her head up and her hind moving forward. Practice straight lines and making her yield at the shoulder, yield at the hind, as well as making larger to smaller circles and vice versa. Transitions will also help as long as they are done in the proper frame. You may not be able to get quite what you get under saddle, but you can make significant progress without hopping on.

Snowkicker 04-18-2010 12:35 AM

She also appears to have overly long toes. I would have a farrier out to try to improve the angles. that might help with her over all movement.