The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Worried..Shedding TOO Much (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/worried-shedding-too-much-52921/)

Rashashea 04-17-2010 10:18 PM

Worried..Shedding TOO Much

I have 2 quarter horses who we purchased last year after they had already shed, this year they are starting to shed but I am concerned. They are shedding down to the skin....big patches. I had the vet come out and he said they don't seem to have any issues that just may be the way they shed but I am still worried. Has anyone else seen anything like this. Vet said it may be where we got hot quick here instead of gradually warming up.
Thanks
Rasha

rissaxbmth 04-17-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rashashea (Post 607957)
I have 2 quarter horses who we purchased last year after they had already shed, this year they are starting to shed but I am concerned. They are shedding down to the skin....big patches. I had the vet come out and he said they don't seem to have any issues that just may be the way they shed but I am still worried. Has anyone else seen anything like this. Vet said it may be where we got hot quick here instead of gradually warming up.
Thanks
Rasha

Ah, finally someone with the same problem. My new gelding is doing the SAME thing. They aren't sore just big bald patches. I wouldn't worry too much if the vet said its okay.

PaintHorseMares 04-17-2010 10:54 PM

Down here, a lot of the horses are shedding like that this year. We had an unusually cold winter and it went from 40 degrees to 80+. Our youngest mare's hair, who is very long in the winter, was literally falling out on half her back (to bare skin and her skin looked fine). Now, 1 1/2 weeks later, she has shed most of the rest normally and she's already fuzzy again where hair fell out. Another couple of weeks and it looks like she'll have her normal summer coat.

CheyAut 04-18-2010 05:54 AM

Some horses just shed that way :)

ashton87 04-20-2010 10:12 PM

I have the same problem. My husband is worried but its not a big deal. NOW if they start gettin bumps and then start losing it there might be a problem. but if its smooth dont worry.
ashton

VintageMatch 04-21-2010 12:45 AM

a couple of ours shed that way, it's normally a thoroughbred thing to shed bald and then have their summer coat grow in, but other breeds do it as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

CarlyCole 04-22-2010 04:10 PM

I don't know if this will work but here's a link from another thread referencing the same thing. It's pretty common. Especially in the warmer states.

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...ald-any-53047/

Wahoo23829 04-24-2010 09:49 AM

MINE TOO .......big big bare patches ......started at the chest and I thought he just rubbed it off because he was shedding......now the little summer hair are coming out and the patch has moved to the shoulders and girth are.....both rump cheeks are the same way......just a touch and you have a handfull .....
even the bridge of his nose hair just falls off !

Thanx for bringing that up

horselover1428 04-24-2010 09:56 AM

I thought I was the only one!! My new quarter horse gelding started going bald but my parents continue to tell me he is fine.

Wallaby 04-24-2010 01:09 PM

Yup! Lacey has giant places where it's just skin with no fur, you are not alone. =)