The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help tried everything how can i load my horse in the trailer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-tried-everything-how-can-i-52971/)

caseymyhorserocks 04-18-2010 01:50 PM

Help tried everything how can i load my horse in the trailer?

HELP GUYS! My horse WILL NOT get into our new trailer. It is small. But how can I get her in? :evil::? My riding insrtuctor said to feed her every day in the trailer and each day move it farther up in the trailer. But any other tips will HELP!! I am stumped!! :shock::? I have tried, being really confiedent looking up walking fast, etc, wacking her on the butt, being undominent (opposite of 1st one), using a bridle to get her (didnt work), shacking grain bucket in the trailer, making lots of comotion noise behind her. She is not aggressive though, THANK GOD! :-) She is the least aggressive horse I have every met- and she almost reared up 3 times and did 1 time!! :shock: :-o :cry: Please help!! Also when we try loading her own way she resists is going around the doors so we tried attaching a lead line to the trailer so she couldnt but balked even more about going into the trailer because of the "narrow" area. Any tips aprecitated, Caseymyhorserocks.

thunderhooves 04-18-2010 02:03 PM

Put another horse in first.
I think your trailer might be to small for her. How tall is she, and the trailer?

TheGoldenFilly 04-18-2010 02:19 PM

Tune into your horse. Why is she feeling anxious about going into this trailer? Is there a specific reason, do you think, or is it more of the classic being-flighty-cuz-of-the-creepy-boogey-man-looking-box-on-wheels-she's-trying-to-lock-me-in? ;) Do all you can to make her comfortable...and this starts with you. Do not act confident, dominant, or like the leader......BE confident, BE dominant, and BE the leader. So do not attempt training her loading when you are in a pissed off mood, for example. A mistake a lot of people do is act differently than how they are feeling--well, horses KNOW, so that's not gunna fly. :3

When your energy is aligned, tune into her energy. There are several ways you can do this....

1) Do you know her color? Colors help me as a mantra. Now what exactly is this crazy person talking to you about? :P Imagine a shield of your life energy coming out from you inner core and surrounding you peacefully. What color is it? exactly what color is it? Next time you are with your horse, put your hands on her; imagine your energy engulfing and mingling with hers. Now: What color do you see? This is the color of the shield made when you combine your energy with your horses. This will be different for everyone, because it is the combination of YOUR SPIRIT and HER'S. Really a beautiful thing. ♥ Anyways, recalling this color will calm your energy, and with your bond, it should calm her as well.
2) Recall a peaceful scene--it can be real or made up--that is pleasurable for you as well as your horse. In this case, you want it to relax your energy. For example, my most common energy-aligning scene is imagining myself soaking the spring sun in a wild field, Horse grazing beside me, with a creek flowing nearby....... Practice this image. What some people do is create a "button" that recalls their memory/emotion. For example, pushing your right thumb onto your left palm, or even something like squeezing your arm (so that it only takes one hand). When you have your "button" and your scene, practice "pushing your button" and immediately being engulfed in the scene throughout your day--while getting the mail, while at a tack store, while watching a movie.....you get the idea. ;]

Okay...as I probably have proved already, I could go on for hours on this...and I didn't even get to the real practical part yet. :? So basically, what the gist of this is, is instead of trying to convince her to move her butt and feel uncomfortable about it, convince her to move her mindset and feel safe and accomplished. ^^

If you have any Q's let me know...again, I really am forcing myself to stop writing!! (if you can't tell :[ lol)

~The Golden Filly!~

caseymyhorserocks 04-18-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderhooves (Post 608509)
Put another horse in first.
I think your trailer might be to small for her. How tall is she, and the trailer?

im not sure how tall the trailer is- she is 14.2 hands but i know a 17 hand horse isnt to tall enough for the trailer!! we cant put another horse in the trailer with her cause she is the only horse we own- she doesnt live with another horse!!

Elky 04-18-2010 02:47 PM

Just went throught tis with my new horse this morning. I called up a friend that is also a trainer and he came over to teach not just the horse, but mostly me. He had the horse going in my small 2 place horse trailer in leass than 10 min. Loaded in and out for him about 7 times, then it was my turn and loaded in and out for me no problem about 5 times.

The horse needs to know that away from the trailer is work, and that the trailer is a good place, a comfortable place and a place of rest, relaxation, and no work.

You need to know how to "open the gate" so to speak. Away from the trailer you do this and make him work, lunge line in one direction and then in the other, walking and trotting both. Then walk over to the trailer and "open the gate" asking him to step in. If your horse only steps one foot in and then backs out, that is fine. If you are swinging the tail of your lead rope for 30 seconds for him to step forward and back out, let him rest and give praise for 1 minute.

Take him away from the trailer again and again make him work in both directions. Walk back to the trailer and repeat above. In two tries, he had my horse walking in the trailer on his own, being rewarded with hay and candy in the manger, and hook the butt rope. Let him stay in for a little bit and then ask the horse to back out with just a little tug of the lead rope. Do not try and force him/her. Let the horse reach his own confidence to step out backwards. Then ask the horse to get back in again.

There was absolutely no anger, no hostility, no yelling, no hitting, just a little patience and building some confidence. Never make the horse think that the trailer is a bad place, the trailer is a good place..

This horse is just about 6 years old now, and has never been in a 2 place trailer, only larger 4 place trailers and was never asked to back out of a trailer. He now goes in and out like a real pro!!

speedy da fish 04-18-2010 02:47 PM

do you have a front unloading trailer? if so open the front up when loading, it can help. also take any bars down so it looks like a nice open walkway to the horse. try leading her in and get someone with a long whip behind to gently tap her front then back legs, if it doesnt get her in the trailer then get her close to it. when she is standing near the trailer, physically pick her front legs up (one at a time :P) and put them on the ramp. < that worked for my gelding and now he goes in fine :)
Good Luck

White Foot 04-18-2010 02:49 PM

Have atleast three people help you with this...

Take a long rope and thread it through the window, have one person stand on her left side and the other on her right. The rope should be pulled/tightened until she takes one step forward. Once she takes a step, STOP and praise her.

And you need to work on your go forward cue.

Elky 04-18-2010 02:58 PM

One other thing, open the escape door if you have one and also the door/window at the manger to make it more open and not so closed in.

Making a horse go in with a rope with the aid of others is like forcing the horse to go in, and what is to happen when you are out by yourself after riding all day and you are there alone, just you and your horse? You want the horse to get in because it is a good place, not because he was forced in. Always have a reward for the horse once he is in. Even if it is just a few pieces of horse candy or a little hay or little grain.

RiosDad 04-18-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGoldenFilly (Post 608512)
Tune into your horse. Why is she feeling anxious about going into this trailer? Is there a specific reason, do you think, or is it more of the classic being-flighty-cuz-of-the-creepy-boogey-man-looking-box-on-wheels-she's-trying-to-lock-me-in? ;) Do all you can to make her comfortable...and this starts with you. Do not act confident, dominant, or like the leader......BE confident, BE dominant, and BE the leader. So do not attempt training her loading when you are in a pissed off mood, for example. A mistake a lot of people do is act differently than how they are feeling--well, horses KNOW, so that's not gunna fly. :3

When your energy is aligned, tune into her energy. There are several ways you can do this....

1) Do you know her color? Colors help me as a mantra. Now what exactly is this crazy person talking to you about? :P Imagine a shield of your life energy coming out from you inner core and surrounding you peacefully. What color is it? exactly what color is it? Next time you are with your horse, put your hands on her; imagine your energy engulfing and mingling with hers. Now: What color do you see? This is the color of the shield made when you combine your energy with your horses. This will be different for everyone, because it is the combination of YOUR SPIRIT and HER'S. Really a beautiful thing. ♥ Anyways, recalling this color will calm your energy, and with your bond, it should calm her as well.
2) Recall a peaceful scene--it can be real or made up--that is pleasurable for you as well as your horse. In this case, you want it to relax your energy. For example, my most common energy-aligning scene is imagining myself soaking the spring sun in a wild field, Horse grazing beside me, with a creek flowing nearby....... Practice this image. What some people do is create a "button" that recalls their memory/emotion. For example, pushing your right thumb onto your left palm, or even something like squeezing your arm (so that it only takes one hand). When you have your "button" and your scene, practice "pushing your button" and immediately being engulfed in the scene throughout your day--while getting the mail, while at a tack store, while watching a movie.....you get the idea. ;]

Okay...as I probably have proved already, I could go on for hours on this...and I didn't even get to the real practical part yet. :? So basically, what the gist of this is, is instead of trying to convince her to move her butt and feel uncomfortable about it, convince her to move her mindset and feel safe and accomplished. ^^

If you have any Q's let me know...again, I really am forcing myself to stop writing!! (if you can't tell :[ lol)

~The Golden Filly!~

Is this a joke?? Is this real advice??

kevinshorses 04-18-2010 03:34 PM

I was thinking the same thing RD.