The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Combined Pics (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/combined-pics-52996/)

MyBoyPuck 04-18-2010 06:30 PM

Combined Pics

Puck Jumping 4-17-10 video by rudysmallfry - Photobucket

Hi all,

At age 43, I finally did my first complete jumping round ever in a show! It's Puck's first time too, so we were quite a pair. We both attempted this last year with miserable results. I lost my confidence, he dirty stopped 6 times and finally deposited me at fence 3. So this "complete" round was much better. We had a few rider error things that resulted in 2 refusals and finally an off course so we got DQ'd. Too bad since we were in second place after the dressage. Oh well. I'm very pleased if for no there reason that Puck was seriously into it. He cantered around the warmup ring like he owned the place, got all his lead changes with no real help from me, and we jumped every fence (except the 2 refusals of course) straight and centered. I kept getting left behind and need more release, but with only a week to practice between him getting sick and me having the switch barns with no notice, I consider this a big victory. If you do critique, please be kind. We just got through down and dirty. I'm just happy it went as well as it did. I'll post dressage in a bit.

StormyBlues 04-18-2010 06:58 PM

Cant see the Vid on my phone, but I'll look when I get home. But don't you know the first rul of our first eventing show? It HAS to go wrong somehow?
Posted via Mobile Device

SarahHershey 04-18-2010 07:37 PM

Alright, What I see that can help both of you is...

1st Jump: You needed to have a more forward trot, or a canter, and you looked at the jump. Pertend there are no jumps, and you are just cantering around with obstacles, that you must canter over. That will help with the refusals, and wait for the jump to come to you, at that height you can wait for Puck to come up to you. There is barely a need for a drastic 2-point, just a release with your hands.

2nd: Just wait for the jump, and grab mane!

Other than that, sit up, keep your shoulders back, look where your going, and keep your leg under you instead of in front of you.

Overall, Fantastic job, just tweak stuff, maybe carry a crop and give a slight tap before every jump. Good Luck!!

MyBoyPuck 04-18-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyBlues (Post 608720)
Cant see the Vid on my phone, but I'll look when I get home. But don't you know the first rul of our first eventing show? It HAS to go wrong somehow?
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, that makes sense now! So it goes smoothly next time??

Here's the dressage by the way. Behind my leg and very poor circles. It just wasn't there. Considering I was in 2nd place after it, I wonder what the other riders looked like!

Puck Dressage 4-17-10 video by rudysmallfry - Photobucket

MIEventer 04-18-2010 08:06 PM

MBP - you went out, you accomplished so much, learnt alot and, are now that much better prepared for the next comp.

You know your errors and you don't need any critique. You made mistakes, so what - S.#.!.+ happens eh! Big deal, what makes a great rider is one who can get up, dust themselves off and try again.

I know I am super proud of you!

MyBoyPuck 04-18-2010 08:17 PM

Thanks MIE. Last year at the first fence when I tried to trot in and he sucked back and refused, I wussed out continued to try to trot it and failed. Yesterday, I turned him around, said WTF (in it's extended form) and picked up the canter instead.

I do seem to have a serious muscle memory issue. I felt like I was sitting up and I'm inclined waaaay forward. Oh well, something else to fix. I really am proud of Puck.

StormyBlues 04-18-2010 08:18 PM

Ummm... Most likly MBP! Lol my first show with blue I was off at the third xc fence and with Geof he bucked in all our canterwork in our dressage lol
Posted via Mobile Device

MIEventer 04-18-2010 08:20 PM

Hey, you know what - we all have our issues. I have my fear of stadium jumping and trust me, I try to cop out at any particular moment I can cop out. I freeze over fences and my form has gone to *phtpthpt* - but I'm not letting it stop me.

Yeah, I feel like an idiot about it, but meh - everyone has their issues.

You went, you tried, you learnt, you accomplished, you didn't give up. What more can one ask? There's always room to improve, but that goes for anyone regardless of what level they are.

StormyBlues 04-18-2010 09:35 PM

it looked good! And don't worry, everything also doesn't go so darned well when it's raining..... sad day

writer23 04-18-2010 10:06 PM

Congrats on the show on conquering the nerve to try again this year! My sister still won't jump in public after twenty years riding (nothing bad happened - she just doesn't have the confidence in herself). So it's a huge accomplishment, what you and Puck have done.