The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Weight and Muscle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/weight-muscle-5304/)

Rainy12 01-14-2008 01:26 PM

Weight and Muscle

Hey Y'all!
I just bought a new horse at auction he is good and healthy but slightly underweight and need some muscle. If anyone has any suggestions on how to help I would apprieciate it. :wink:

Vidaloco 01-14-2008 02:56 PM

I have moved your post to "horse health" you will get more answers here :) My girls are all fat so can't help you out :lol:

Harlee rides horses 01-14-2008 05:39 PM

Try trotting, trotting is the best muscle builder. If they are only slightly under-weight then feed her hay and ride her a ton and if you trot more than anything muscle will gradually build up, it all comes with time.

buckaroo2010 01-14-2008 08:19 PM

yeah what you can do is while you are riding in your arean walk around it 2 times,trot 2 time,lope 2 time and then start over and you can do this about everyotherday :) should help

funnygal 01-15-2008 07:08 PM

The trotting should be fast, where horse is tracking up. A slow and easy trot won't do it.

Trotting hills too.....and walking hills. I was also told lots of transitions - walk to trot, trot to walk, etc. We're working on this too!

Tarvas Munkee 01-17-2008 11:18 AM

muscle will come through riding him, as far as weight gain, the easiest way would be to add soaked beet pulp and rice bran to his feed. They worked excellent, when fed correctly. I soak my between feed times. (I soak overnite for morning feed, and soak during the day for evening feed)

suave! 01-18-2008 11:24 PM

with the muscle side of things, if once you have figured out an exercise schedule for him he hasn't put on the muscle you wished for, there are feed supplements out there you can add to their feed, and with the conjunction of regular exercise it helps build up more muscle :)

how old is the horse?
might be harder to put on the weight you want if he's an older type :)

good luck!

DGW1949 01-19-2008 01:31 AM

Protien builds muscle.

Fat builds...... fat.
It also provides an extra sorce of energy.

And..... you'll need the right combination of vitamins and minerals to go along with them other two.

My suggestion would be a 14% pelleted feed which has a good vitamin/mineral package blended-in, plenty of hay, a mineral block and good-clean drinking water.
Once you provide the building-blocks, a regular excersize program will stimulate needed muscle growth.

That might sound like perty-basic stuff...but it's worked well for me.
I don't get too fancy with these things. Nature works real well on it's own.

DGW