The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Y'all Won't Even Believe this (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/yall-wont-even-believe-53064/)

sandy2u1 04-19-2010 01:01 PM

Y'all Won't Even Believe this

I told y'all about my daughter's trainer giving her a rescue horse. The horse was on 4 scoops of feed a day with no grass. We have started opening our pastures for half a day, so we switched her to just 3 a day (maybe we shouldn't have IDK) Well yesterday my mom went to the barn with us to see my daughters horse. My brother-in-laws mother was there, too. While we were up there my daughters trainer came up there and asked us if we fed Hope today. I told her that we had given her a scoop already and that we were going to give her 2 scoops when we left. Well, she started ranting and raving because she didn't get 4 scoops and said she didn't want no part in that horse anymore and that she was going to call the lady we got her from and see what she wants to do. I said you do what you have to do, but nobody is going to take the effing horse from my daughter. My mom spoke up and said don't worry the horse will get fed and she told my mother to shut up that this is none of her business :shock:. Of course I told her not to talk to my mother like that. It went on and on. Well, last night Hope's previous owner calls me (she runs a rescue). She wants to make us sign a contract now and she said Hope needs 6 scoops of grain now instead of 4 (although she hasn't lost any weight), she also said that she can't be ridden (which my daughter has been doing because her trainer told her that's what Hope needs), instead she needs to be lunged. She also said that we will not be able to move Hope unless she gives us permission (we are boarding right now, but do plan on getting our own place). When we originally got Hope, she said we could move her we just had to let her know where we were moving her to. At this point I am very hesitant to sign a contract because her instructions have been changed already. I am concerned that she will be able to take her whenever she wants if I do that. I have the card that my daughters trainer gave her when she gave her Hope, so that should be proof that the horse belongs to my daughter. I'm also going to have the vet out and give us feeding instructions, exercise instructions and advice on wether or not she is rideable. What would you do in this situation?

Speed Racer 04-19-2010 02:43 PM

I'd cut my losses and find another horse I could own outright without all the attendant drama, as well as find another barn.

No way would I sign any contract after the fact, nor would I stay with a trainer who acts like that in front of a child.

This may turn out to be an emotionally expensive lesson for you and your daughter, but you should NEVER take on an animal for which you haven't received a bill of sale, even if it's for $1.00.

I got JJ for nothing. He wasn't a rescue, but the idea is the same. His previous owner drew up a bill of sale for $1.00 and we both signed it. I didn't give her a dollar, but this makes my ownership legal and binding.

If you want to fight this, you may have to get the courts and attorneys involved. However, if the trainer 'gave' your daughter the horse without the express permission of the rescue from where it came, you may have to give up the animal.

If there's a rescue involved, the legal system may determine that the horse belongs to them and not you.

Do you really want to have a court battle and pay through the nose for legal fees over a free horse? I wouldn't. There are plenty of good horses out there for minimal cost or even free.

Why waste your time and money trying to prove that you're 'right' and the rescue and trainer are 'wrong'?

Yeah, it stinks that a child is probably going to lose her horse, but it was up to you as her parent to make sure this didn't happen. Never trust anyone with a verbal-only agreement. If you don't get things in writing, situations like these can and will happen.

I feel badly for you, I really do, but many times we have to learn lessons the hard way.

justsambam08 04-19-2010 03:48 PM

I agree that if the "rescue" is going to dictate how much the horse needs to be fed regardless of current body condition, turn out arrangement, and access to hay, just find another horse that you can make your own decisions about.

kevinshorses 04-19-2010 04:17 PM

First, if you want to get your daughter a horse, spend a little money and BUY her a good safe older horse that she can learn on. Don't get some dink from a trainer that may or may not be safe to ride.

Second, I would load the horse up and take it right back to the rescue and tell them they can feed it any way they want because it is all thiers. I despise rescues for that very reason. If I am spending my money on a horse then I will decide what and when to feed it and I will house it wherever I want to. I will not sign a contract that limits my rights to do with the horse as I want or requires that I get anyones permission to do what I think is best for my horse.

Speed Racer 04-19-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 609556)
I will not sign a contract that limits my rights to do with the horse as I want or requires that I get anyones permission to do what I think is best for my horse.

Amen to that, Kevin.

I also won't go the rescue route with dogs or cats, either.

A lot of those people have hoarder mentalities, and the hoops you have to jump through just to adopt one of their 'precious' charges aren't worth it.

I can BUY a dog from a reputable breeder and have less hassle than trying to adopt.

Rescues scream that nobody will take their animals, but they're the ones making it impossible for any rational, thinking, responsible person to take them.

Ugh, don't get me started. I've had my fill of rescues and the crazy, menopausal women who run most of 'em.

Ray MacDonald 04-19-2010 04:30 PM

I do kinda agree, not fully because Ive never been in that position before. But I do REALLY think you should get a vet check!

luvmyperch 04-19-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 609562)
I've had my fill of rescues and the crazy, menopausal women who run most of 'em.

Ditto...

If the rescue is going to tell you how to feed her without even looking at her body condition, and expect you to sign an agreement after the fact, then I totally agree with loading her on the trailer and dropping her right back off where she came from. These are people that you DON'T want to be in a legal agreement with.

iridehorses 04-19-2010 05:06 PM

Apparently what started out as a wonderful gesture is turning out to be a nightmare. I've been close to the problem you are about to endure and I agree with Speed, Kevin and the others. I would, without hesitation, give the horse back.

I would want no part of past owners, rude trainers, or anyone else telling me how to care for my horse. On top of that, I would throw the trainer off my property along with the horse and get a real trainer not a nut case.

There are plenty of good horses out there for very little money, if any. No one needs the ridiculous restrictions they are giving you after the fact.

ShutUpJoe 04-19-2010 05:14 PM

Do you currently have a contract? If you don't have anything in writing at this moment I don't think there is anything that you can do. I'd just move the horse. I didn't see this in there but have you discussed the horses diet with a vet? 4 scoops of grain seems like a lot to me.

ridergirl23 04-19-2010 06:27 PM

get a new hrose and bring that horse back to the rescue... i would also give the rescue a little tip and tell them that if they ever want their horses to go to good homes they shouldnt be so a**-hole ish about it. just for fun you could tell them they have given you a great idea to breed two horses a bunch of times til you get one that is the color your daughter wants... that would give the rescue place a heart attack XD haha