The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Pad slippage under western saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/pad-slippage-under-western-saddle-53083/)

garlicbunny 04-19-2010 05:27 PM

Pad slippage under western saddle

I finally bought a new saddle and it seems to fit him very nicely. I used a 3/4" wool blend Toklat pad under it and started with about 3" of pad in front of the saddle. The pad ended up slipping back and left about 3/4" in front after about 1 1/2 hr ride...no sweat developed and we did do some hills.

Anyone know why pad might be slipping when saddle doesn't and should I maybe use a different type pad? Thanks

smrobs 04-19-2010 08:05 PM

I would guess that either the saddle wasn't adjusted correctly or the saddle doesn't fit as well as you think and is moving around too much during your ride. Then again, 3" in front of the saddle sure seems like a lot. If he was picking his head up at all during your ride, he may have been scooting the pad back when his neck would contact it. Do you have a picture of how you normally have things adjusted before you go out on a ride?

garlicbunny 04-19-2010 09:21 PM

slippage

thanks..I just remembered that I did not cinch it up as tight today as yesterday, would that cause slippage? I can't post pictures yet, have not made an attempt to try actually, I am bad at things other than email and surfing..

smrobs 04-19-2010 09:25 PM

That could be part of the problem but I am beginning to think that it is perhaps the placement of the pad and/or saddle that is causing the main problem. Do you know the dimensions of your saddle pad? Most standard ones are 30x30 or 32x32. And as far as putting pictures, when you click post reply, there is a little paperclip at the top of the box. Just click on that and you can download pix from your hard drive.

maderiaismine05 04-20-2010 09:56 PM

smrobs has good advice..if you keep running into the problem you could always get a neoprene (waffle) pad...i have one and love it! no sliperage.

iridehorses 04-21-2010 07:51 AM

Putting on a no slip pad really makes the problem worst. If the original pad is moving because of an ill fitting saddle or original pad placement, then the inability of the new pad to move can cause irritation.

Pads slip primarily due to saddle fit or, as you mentioned, a saddle that is too loose. Both conditions cause the saddle to move around on your horse's back.