The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Your Thoughts on McLain Ward? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/your-thoughts-mclain-ward-53090/)

kmacdougall 04-19-2010 08:05 PM

Your Thoughts on McLain Ward?

I'm not sure if there's a post about this, I searched but didn't see any.
I'm just wondering what you guys think of McLain Ward and Sapphire being DQ'd from the FEI World Cup? I personally can't form an opinion - it seems like there must be so much more to the story.
On one hand I say yeah, sure, make him sit it out - after the plastic pins issue and the insurance scandal. What do you guys think?

This is the FEI story:
Positive Hypersensitivity Test Eliminates Sapphire from FEI World Cup Final

This is the plastic pins issue:
EQUESTRIANISM; Ward leaves in disgrace

And finally the insurance scandal:
HORSE SHOW;Equestrians Facing Competition and Lingering Scandal

The insurance scandal was more of a Barney Ward affair, however I do remember reading years ago that McLain was aware and involved. Of course, he would have only been a teenager at the time, but as a teenager I didn't kill horses..

What do you guys think? Send him home or let him ride?

upnover 04-19-2010 10:27 PM

Yeah, I don't know. I heard about this from someone else and the whole thing just seems kind of weird on everyone's parts. I mean, they say the horse jogs sound but according to thermography results one leg is hotter then the other. -which is how she tested before round 2 but she didn't get DQ'd then? Then she does well round 2 and, oh wait, one leg is still a little hotter, DQ! Then the FEI refuses to give him an appeal or even take samples for a drug test. USET's vet says they made a hasty decision and a mistake. There are a lot of people screaming conspiracy theory!

But with McLain's past history, his close associates (namely his father), and the fact that every time I see him at shows he seems like a complete and utterly arrogant jerk (which I hear from a lot of people is true) it's hard to know whether to side with him or not!

I don't know. I think there's a lot they aren't telling us.

eventerdrew 04-19-2010 10:31 PM

of course the horse is going to be sensitive when it's poked and prodded over and over. I think she shouldn't have been eliminated. I don't blame Ward for being bitter at all

ridergirl23 04-19-2010 10:56 PM

UGH! ive never heard about his father killing horses! thats terrible, and i have lost respect for him.

eventerdrew 04-19-2010 10:57 PM

Lost respect for his father, or Mclain?

White Foot 04-19-2010 10:57 PM

I watch him every year at the Invitationals, idk.. D; it happens though.

Allison Finch 04-19-2010 11:06 PM

I believe the apple rarely falls far from the tree. McClain has been suspended for abuse, too. I feel that the Wards believe that the ends justifies the means. I have found him to be fairly arrogant, in the contacts I have had with him (fairly few in recent years, though).

It is too bad, as he is a really fine rider.

I hate the second guessing going on with this situation. It is rediculous to believe the FEI vets would arbitrarily single him out without cause. Remember, the naysayers have an agenda too.

kmacdougall 04-19-2010 11:14 PM

The reason I have a hard time hating on McLain for his past is because as a Canadian, my pride and joy is Eric Lamaze. Some of you may remember Eric as the young man with the very serious drug problem..

But at the same time, what Eric tried to harm was himself. Not a horse.

I guess my opinion is that in all McLain is not the greatest representation of the horse industry. However, Sapphire's medical condition seems a bit.. sketchy to me.

ridergirl23 04-19-2010 11:20 PM

ive lost respect for both of them. i dont really care if the rider wants to hurt himself, but dont hurt the animal, thats just ignorant and stupid.
my number one showjumper ian millar. mclain just sounds... ignorant.

upnover 04-19-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 609998)
mclain just sounds... ignorant.

ignorant?? cocky and arrogant, yes. caught doing some crappy things to his horses, yes. but ignorant? I'd say he knows a heck of a lot. He's a darn good rider, he's just not a particularly caring or responsible horseman.