The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Help.. Frustrated! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/help-frustrated-53119/)

UnrealJumper 04-20-2010 12:08 AM

Help.. Frustrated!

I am helping out get a horse back into shape. Shes the most stubborn thing I have ever ridden. 13yr old holsteiner
[She didn't want to get in the trailer and decided she was going to rear and try to kill us, then bite onto the trailer...]

Now my dilemma is that the first time I rode her (sometime last year) she was awesome. Came into a frame nicely and was great! These days when I'm riding her I can't get her to do anything! The owner does everything of course, but as soon as I get on her her owner stands there and asks me to do things. Of course this consists of first getting the horse into a nice frame, which I cannot for my life do! I don't know why! I do what I am asked to do [leg on, keep contact] But she will NOT track up. Please help with any useful tips?

writer23 04-20-2010 12:19 AM

Have you done groundwork with her? Sounds like she has respect issues with you. Some horses 'try out' every rider she might just be one of them. I'd re-start from the ground. It also could be that you're instructions are confusing her (without watching you ride and knowing the mare this is impossible to say). That said, frame isn't the most important thing right off the bat. I'd focus on rhythm, balance, and having her going forward first. Get her moving and tracking up before you put her into frame.

UnrealJumper 04-20-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by writer23 (Post 610075)
Have you done groundwork with her? Sounds like she has respect issues with you. Some horses 'try out' every rider she might just be one of them. I'd re-start from the ground. It also could be that you're instructions are confusing her (without watching you ride and knowing the mare this is impossible to say). That said, frame isn't the most important thing right off the bat. I'd focus on rhythm, balance, and having her going forward first. Get her moving and tracking up before you put her into frame.

All were doing is flat work and whatnot. The problem is I can't get her to track up :////// :(((

writer23 04-20-2010 12:27 AM

I was meaning lunge work (free on online)? I found it was easier dealing with issues on the ground before I mounted my gelding. Get her tracking up on the ground and listening to your commands and when that is perfected, try your flat work again. Or have you done this already?

Alwaysbehind 04-20-2010 07:17 AM

If the mare is out of shape (you say you are getting her in shape) getting into a frame might be something that is truly above her ability to do well right now from lack of muscle strength. Her doing it for her owner might simply be because her owner knows just how to ask and she is obliging her, but you she is not willing to be uncomfortable for you. Or maybe by the time her owner is done she is tired and just not able to do it.

If physical issues are not the reason then simply ask the owner what they do and what you are not doing? Simply saying, "I am obviously not asking her correctly can you help me, please".

MIEventer 04-20-2010 09:12 AM

Alwaysbehind makes a very valid point.

UnrealJumper 04-20-2010 10:18 AM

Thanks guys. I understand where your coming from and you def have a point. But the last time I rode her she wasn't in shape at all. She had a year off. :/

Alwaysbehind 04-20-2010 10:22 AM

So, have you asked the owner what you are doing wrong? They are going to have for better advice for you than a bunch of people on an internet BB that can not see you ride.

UnrealJumper 04-20-2010 10:31 PM

Didn't end up riding today :( Plan is to trailer out to the arena tomorrow though.

UnrealJumper 04-20-2010 11:34 PM

I also forgot to mention that I've been riding another one of her horses to help it get back into shape (and so I can lease her). She Has had about 3 years off? She comes into a frame easily! Nothing to it.