The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Allergic to Molasses AND Soy beans!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/allergic-molasses-soy-beans-53150/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 04-20-2010 01:56 PM

Allergic to Molasses AND Soy beans!!!

I just found out that my horse is allergic to molasses, which wouldn't be such a big deal because I recently switched her from the sweet feed that the barn was giving her to Tribute Essential K, a ration balancer (she's a VERY easy keeper!) that doesn't have any molasses in it. It's been working very well for her (weight-wise she's finally no longer overweight!), but the allergy tests just came back and her major issue was Molasses, but she is also allergic to soy bean.

My question is -- what can I feed an easy keeper who is getting medium to heavy exercise (ridden 4-5 times per week, we Event so maybe 1-2 of those are jumping lessons and the rest flatwork), but who cannot have molasses or soy bean? Any ideas? Anyone else have the same problem? I have a call in to our local feed dealer but just wanted to get some ideas before he gets back to me as well. THANKS!

walkinthewalk 04-20-2010 05:24 PM

One of my horses is insulin resistant, so he is not permitted to have anything with molasses or soy.

The only two vit/min supplements, to my knowledge, that are completely free of both are:

1) Equipride, which is what I feed. EquiPride? and EquiLix? 1-800-327-9222

2) LinPro Foxden Equine Nutrition & Therapy - LinPro

As far as "feed" is concerned, I will stand corrected, but I think you're only options are molasses-free beet pulp or equine rice bran. I say equine rice bran because it has to be calcium fortified and stabilized so it doesn't turn rancid.

I feed Equi-Jewel. Equi-Jewel main

If you have a local Co-op store, Co-op (ours in Middle Tennessee does) make and bag their own feeds, including equine rice bran.

Southern States may have their own rice bran under the "Legends" name, but I'm not sure. Here's a well-written article from their equine nutritionist.
Something New in Rice Bran - Southern States

If Producer Feeds sells in your area, be sure the G/A tag has been sewn on the bag. I can get Producer Feeds rice bran but the store hands me the guaranteed analysis tag. I am sorry but that is illegal and how do I know I am getting pelleted rice bran as opposed to something else:shock:

Hope this helps:-)

Hoofprints in the Sand 04-20-2010 07:31 PM

wow! Thanks for all the great information! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

churumbeque 04-20-2010 07:39 PM

Safe choice is very good for horses with allergies. They have a lite balance with less calories also.

wild_spot 04-20-2010 08:32 PM

Speedi-Beet (Beet Pulp) is an all-round awesome feed base. Classed as forage and with almost as much energy as oats. It can be fed soaked or dry (At least the brand we ave in AUS can) so it is really good for 'hiding' additives your horse might try to sort out.

I use Speedi-Beet as a base and add calories as needed.

For calories I use Copra - Coconut Meal. It's high in coconut oils so is a good source of digestable fat that can be converted and used as energy.

Certain oils can be used for the same purpose - Adding fat which can thenbe used as energy.

I don't feed a ration balancer at the moment as they have a mineral lick, but am looking into trying KER Al-Phase - But couldn't rattle offthe ingredients lost for you so not sure if it contaisn soy.

However, it might be a good idea for you to consult a nutritionist - There is a lady in Australia who does diet oncsultation and will help you design a custom vit/min mix for your horse based on your pasture/hay and any individual requirements. I'm sure she has done diets for people in the US. This is her site: Balanced Equine - Feeding horses advice and tips Might be worth a look.

Hoofprints in the Sand 04-20-2010 10:53 PM

sweet thanks! :)
Posted via Mobile Device