The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   First jumper show... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/first-jumper-show-53152/)

eralcx3 04-20-2010 02:44 PM

First jumper show...

5 Attachment(s)
...of this year! haha I did jumpers on my pony, Donna, all last summer but this was out first show this year. I did 2'6" with her. She could go much higher, as you will be able to see in the pictures but she is a little out of shape so i didn't want to push her. She seemed to enjoy it. There were at least 8 people in each class and we got first, fourth and sixth places. Would've done better but knocked down rails in the second and third courses. o well, it was fun.

Here are some pictures and a short video of the power and speed course. In the power and speed we knocked down the last rail of the power part so I didn't get to go any further.

Please let me know what you think of me and her!! I know I need to release a lot more with how high she is jumping, but when I am in "the zone" I tend to not focus on that so much. Thankss!!!
Attachment 29787

Attachment 29786

Attachment 29790

Attachment 29789

Attachment 29788

ridergirl23 04-20-2010 03:16 PM

shes such a cute pony!!! but try having a more solid contact and pushing her with your legs and seat into your hands so that you get a more steady contact, and get her more relaxed through a course so that she can relax and you can have a more relaxed and harmonious looking ride :)

Allison Finch 04-20-2010 03:40 PM

Great pony!!

You do need to work on diffusing her charging the jumps. Her high head position is hollowing her so much that it will severely effect her ability to go clean over taller jumps.

Calm your mind a LOT when jumping. Be willing to drop contact occasionally, to get out of the tug of war.

I would set up a jump, about 2'3". Then I would circle in front of the jump as if you were going to jump it on any approach. As you ride the circle, constantly drop contact with the inside rein for a couple of strides and then take it back up carefully, without jerking. each time you do it, praise her if she settles a bit. When she can approach the jump without charging, allow her to take it. Then circle and do it again and again and again. All the time, work on making every muscle in your body soften as you approach, even the aborted approaches.

I had a German dressage coach who always said..."the tenser the horse gets...the softer you ride". Only you can diffuse her anxiety. It really works.

eralcx3 04-20-2010 03:40 PM

Actually in our last class she was a lot more relaxed. I am not sure why, maybe I did have a better seat and contact but if she is too slow and relaxed then she knocks down poles. I have to figure out our good middle speed. Haha but she also has a very crazy past, before I got her, that doesn't help with her not relaxing. But thank you!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

eralcx3 04-20-2010 10:01 PM

Hey Allison, you must have posted your reply right when I posted mine earlier because I just not noticed it and it showed up before mine. Anyway, it's kind of funny that you said to do those circles infront of the jump until she is calm and relaxed enough to go over it because that is seriously what I have been working on with her a lot lately. The only thing different is that I do it with all different heights of jumps. From one foot to 3 feet. Just once I am in the show ring it is hard to keep her relaxed.

When I ride her on the flat and no jumping she does relax her head is down and relaxed and she goes on the bit. She actually has a really nice topline too. It is just when she is jumping that her head goes up in the air. I honestly think it is all from the previous owners and will probably never be fully fixed. =/

Thanks do the comments though!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Allison Finch 04-21-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eralcx3 (Post 610874)
Hey Allison, you must have posted your reply right when I posted mine earlier because I just not noticed it and it showed up before mine. Anyway, it's kind of funny that you said to do those circles infront of the jump until she is calm and relaxed enough to go over it because that is seriously what I have been working on with her a lot lately. The only thing different is that I do it with all different heights of jumps. From one foot to 3 feet. Just once I am in the show ring it is hard to keep her relaxed.

When I ride her on the flat and no jumping she does relax her head is down and relaxed and she goes on the bit. She actually has a really nice topline too. It is just when she is jumping that her head goes up in the air. I honestly think it is all from the previous owners and will probably never be fully fixed. =/

Thanks do the comments though!!
Posted via Mobile Device

She probably gets keyed up at the show because you get keyed up at the show. Horses have an uncanny ability to pick up on any tension and building a mountain on it. if you control yourself, she will feel your calmness (even if it is only pretend calm).

I would not do the circles over bigger jumps until she can jump a small one with CONSISTENT calm. Only then should you go up even 3 inches. She has to earn the right to jump by staying calm.