The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Question about coloring :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/question-about-coloring-53172/)

Wildflower 04-20-2010 04:01 PM

Question about coloring :)

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so This is my Buckshot. I would like to know what color you believe he is? I was told Buckskin as a baby. I believed he was a dun, UNTIL I googled a Dunskin. Had no Idea this was a color until I looked at the color Calculator page someone posted to see what color your foals maybe. He looks alot like that Photo of the Dunskin. Lol I have a had a horse for 7 yrs that I am not sure what color he is!! Thanks everyone!!

ShutUpJoe 04-20-2010 06:21 PM

He certainly is beautiful. Does he have a stripe going down his back?

nrhareiner 04-20-2010 07:10 PM

From that pictures you can not tell if he is a Dunskin or just a buckskin. Also if he does have a dorsal strip I have seen red duns that color before. With his light legs he could be a red dun with really dark red mane and trail.

Sunny 04-20-2010 08:42 PM

If he's got a dorsal stripe, that'll tell you if he's dun.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wildflower 04-21-2010 01:23 PM

Yes he has a pretty wide dorsal stripe. I always thought dun myself. Thanks everyone!

nrhareiner 04-21-2010 05:28 PM

He can be a dun and a buckskin at the same time. They are 2 different genes and work independently of each other.

He is borderline in his color. With a dorsal he could be several different colors.

Eastowest 04-21-2010 06:38 PM

Do you know anything about his ancestry/pedigree?

Wildflower 04-22-2010 12:54 AM

I have miss placed his papers but do know the sire side. Lord Sunday is Sire out of Sun Days Tradition. Lord Sunday was a Bay Overo. You can go to Lord Sunday Paint and see the ped. (If you would like) :) Thanks so much everyone! Has all kinds of color back there from what I can tell. :?

nrhareiner 04-24-2010 05:10 PM

Color would have to come form his bottom side. As his sire is a bay. It is fairly easy to say exactly what he is. He would be Ee, Aa with no cream or dun.

Dam has to carry both cream and Dun gen for this horse to be a Dunskin.

smrobs 04-24-2010 05:24 PM

Just judging by appearance, I would probably say dunskin. Whatever color you call him, he is certainly one gorgeous boy.