The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique My Mare Please =) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-mare-please-%3D-53210/)

NittanyEquestrian 04-21-2010 04:12 AM

Critique My Mare Please =)

7 Attachment(s)
Please do not critique the riders. These are a few of my students on my mare as I'm generally the one in the middle of the ring shouting directions and/or holding the camera =P. I'm fighting an old back injury and jumping isn't a good idea for me or my horses' training so I have some of my students schooling my horses right now. Thank god for them so please no bashing the riders! =) My mare is also coming off a semi layup as we didn't get much riding or schooling in this winter due to crappy weather and bad footing so she is still a little unbalanced and out of shape but she is coming along nicely. Also the ring is on the small side with marginally decent footing and the video was during a particularly nasty cold/wind/threatening to hail spell so realize this is not her movement on a good day in ideal conditions. Feel free to pick her apart, I can handle it but keep what I said about her in mind please. Picture heavy...sorry.

westerngal 04-21-2010 08:29 AM

wow those are really pretty pics! i love them

RedTree 04-21-2010 08:36 AM

sorry no critique from me but I have a question
Why do you have leg wraps on one front leg and one back leg??
I was just curious

sarahver 04-21-2010 09:26 AM

COOOL HORSE!! In the video I liked her jump at 4:45 the best as she approached it calmly and had the correct number of strides (rather than rushing a little and being forced to take a half stride).

Bit more reach on the flat and she would look good, I understand she is fresh from a spell though, have fun with her!

NittanyEquestrian 04-21-2010 11:01 AM

Thanks everyone! Haha my good wraps were dirty and there is actually alternate pink and black wraps on her you just can't tell because of her black legs =P. If you look closely at the 4th picture you can see velcro hehe. Like I said our footing isn't the greatest so I chose the unphotogenic, unmatching wraps over nothing to protect her legs because of my clean wraps I couldn't find 4 of the same color to save my life that day =(.

Yea Sarah after jumping her for the last week her reach is getting much bigger and her stride is lengthening. Our ring is not that big and she has a long stride even when she's not really reaching so it's hard for her to balance and really stride out in that ring even when she's fit. And her right lead canter just needs work in general. This was her first time going over 2' in over 6 months and she was really excited to jump. She likes to rush and then really look at the fence as she goes over when she hasn't jumped in a while and when the fences are lower she tends to be really lazy with her knees. In the pictures of her doing 3'+ she gets much more careful. Thanks for the nice comments though!

xan2303 07-15-2010 01:51 AM

I love the pics really pretty!!!
She is a beautiful horse and there is no problems to critique it is great the way she holds her head when riding and doesn't throw it around as well as keeping it in a perfect line with her butt~ just above!!!... PERFECT!!!

LoveTheSaddlebreds 07-15-2010 05:07 PM

She looks like she needs to calm down a little bit, but over all very nice. In one of the pictures her knees were awfully low, and they arent incredibly high in any of the pics. You should work on gymnastics with her to work on her legs. I couldnt tell really in the video, but it seemed like her knees could be higher and her tuck could be better. And, again Its hard to tell, but you look like you might slam her back on some jumps. Your leg looks like its nicely under you, but the stirrups could be shorter. And keep your shoulders back. You do a great job of sitting and waiting for her to jump. But she could use a better release. :) Cute mare!

equiniphile 07-15-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTree (Post 611243)
sorry no critique from me but I have a question
Why do you have leg wraps on one front leg and one back leg??
I was just curious

There are wraps on the horse's other legs, they're just hard to see because they're black.

equiniphile 07-15-2010 05:16 PM

Woooaahhhh slow that girl down! She speeds up a few strides before every jump lol, but many horses are like that. Just something to work on. She's gorgeous and could make a great jumper. What breed is she?

maura 07-15-2010 06:08 PM

She's certainly able and athletic enough; but she is overjumping by several feet to avoid using her front end; her form is very casual, with a low fore arm and very loose below the knee.

You already know the cure for that - gymnastics, gymnastics, gymnastics. I doubt that she lacks the ability to snap her knees and tuck neatly, but I suspect she lacks motivation.

Also, I am a little concerned about the fences constructed entirely of cavaletti and PVC poles - what happens if you hit one of those hard? The combination of light PVC poles bouncing up and the solid cavaletti turning over worries me; I'd much rather see you schooling over more traditionally built fences with solid poles in jump cups.