The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   hacking jackets? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/hacking-jackets-53218/)

RedTree 04-21-2010 07:38 AM

hacking jackets?

is there a difference between hacking jackets and normal suit jackets?

I currently lend a jacket from one of my friends aunties but she lives way out in woop woop lol and I would really like my own but dont really have the money as the hcking jackets here all seem to be over $100 for new and then $50 and above for second hand but second hand all seem to be way out of the way :roll:
I may even go to an opp shop and go retro lol

ThatNinjaHorse 04-22-2010 04:50 AM

Yeah, hacking jackets have two vents in the back so it sits nicely over the cantle of the saddle (the older ones have one though) Most hacking jackets have nicer finishing touches than a suit jacket, like velvet on the collar and fancy buttons. To me they also seem a little more fitted..and i think shorter than a suit jacket? I havn't really compared.

Though you could probably get away with any jacket, especially if its a local ag show.

RedTree 04-22-2010 06:10 AM

thanks I just wish hacking jackets weren't really expensive
I noticed that hacking jackets usually had nice buttons but then I figured I could change them lol sew some other ones on
but with the op shop some people don't know what there chucking out lol and some times chuck out expensive horse riding clothing *score for me* :P you just have to look lol thats what I have to convince my mum to do

Gidji 04-22-2010 07:11 AM

Try Ebay. Its well worth the money to have a proper hacking jacket than just any old suit jacket. They are properly designed for riding, and they are more fitted than suit jackets. I know at Ag shows around my area, it is very competitive and proper turn out is always demanded.

You can find some really nice quality second hand ones on Ebay, but make sure you know exactly what size you are. My Dublin jacket is an 8, but my Windsor one is a 10. I way prefer my Windsor over my Dublin and I would really recommend you get one of them.

MIEventer 04-22-2010 09:27 AM

I agree, try Ebay and try www.tacktrader.com and other horse sites. There are people selling show jackets all the time for reasonable used prices on forums like HorseGroomingSupplies in their equine classified's section and there is another one called the Bits And Barter Board where all they do is buy and sell used and new tack. Just google "Bits and Bater Board"

Are there tacksales in and around your area? You'd be surprised with what you can find at those things.

RedTree 04-23-2010 06:29 AM

I have never heard of tacksales lol
I was thinking ebay but then I didnt want to get the wrong size because that would be the worst but I will have a look thanks everyone :)

Stafford Green 05-14-2010 11:00 AM

Hi RedTree,
A suits is still the anchor of any formal wardrobe. A perfect suit gives you a look that you take as much pride in your work because of your appearance. If you are very fashionable, you will appear respectable and you'll probably taken seriously.

Thanks...

High Visibility Jackets