The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Rain Rot Solution? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/rain-rot-solution-53219/)

maderiaismine05 04-21-2010 08:01 AM

Rain Rot Solution?

Whats everyones opinion on how to get rid of rain rot? M-T-G?, Calm Coat?, Eqyuss, Cowboy Magic? What do you guys use? Any "in the home" remedys?

Wildflower 04-21-2010 09:03 AM

HI! I have been told that DAWN Antibacterial Dish washing soap will cure rain rot. I have never tried this myself but my neighbor did and it seemed to work well. I would really worry about drying them out though so be careful and make sure you get it off. Also head and shoulders shampoo. She used that as well. Hope these help you get rid of that pesky rain rot!!! Have a great day!

Indyhorse 04-21-2010 09:23 AM

My best friend used to swear by Apple Cider Vinegar for rainrot- just poured it directly on the affected spots and scrubbed with a brush (note do not share the brushes!) She said it would clear it up in like, 4 days. I've never actually had rainrot on any of my horses so I haven't used this. Seems to me like it would burn though.

hccumminssmoke 04-21-2010 10:55 AM

Mouthwash, Listerine or the cheap stuff

Nate

Speed Racer 04-21-2010 11:02 AM

My recipe for rain rot and other fungal infections: Take 5 gallons of water and add 1 cup of bleach, 1 cup of Betadine solution, and several big squirts of dishwashing liquid.

With a soft brush, scrub the affected areas liberally with the solution and DO NOT rinse off.

Let it dry thoroughly before putting the horse back out.

It only takes 2 or 3 applications for the fungus to be completely gone.

I've also used Listerine on itchy bug bites, which helps to dry them out and take away the itch.

Iseul 04-21-2010 11:04 AM

We just use banadine on the horses at the barn..they're quarantined in the bottom pasture with the run-in.
I thought it was odd though. o.O I was pretty sure banadine was only used for minor pain.. *shrugs* Apparently the vet said it was useful, so I'm not going to say anything as they're not my horses. ;-;

Speed Racer 04-21-2010 11:07 AM

Are you talking about banamine or Betadine? Those are two completely different things.

I can't see where banamine would be helpful at all for getting rid of rain rot.

maderiaismine05 04-21-2010 11:29 AM

None of my horses have it..ive just ran into a few horses that have in the past...ive always used MTG on them but that gets expensive...so just wondering what your guy's ideas are.... thanks for the tips!

Gidget 04-21-2010 01:29 PM

I read that listerine works and I would also use betadine :)

Iseul 04-21-2010 04:07 PM

Speed Racer-
my friend (who is in charge of te run-in and the horses down there) said banamine, but I was thinkig he might have gotten it a bit mixed up too. I mean, he's not the most knowledgable person when it comes to care (other than feeding, brushing and tacking) so it's probably possible that he said the wrong thing. That's probably why I was so confused..coz I came home afterwards and was like...what the hell is banamine going to do for rain rot?? lol
oh, and I apologize for spelling it as banadine, my touch pod thing thing thought that it'd be the right idea to "auto-correct" it. :#
Posted via Mobile Device