The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Would you... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/would-you-53221/)

Iseul 04-21-2010 10:06 AM

Would you...

Well, I'm not sure yet, but I was offered to be allowed to ride a fellow 4Her's 10 yr old for 4H since I don't have a horse (nor the $100 a month for Super/Lucky and lessons) but I'd need to get my own saddle for her. I'm probably going to discuss it further with the my BO, the girl and my dad/mother on sunday, but I'm debating on:
-Forgetting the lessons from my BO and buying a cheaper saddle (but still decent) for somewhere around $200 or so (since that's about what I have, currently)
-Keep the $200+ for lessons with my BO, and using one of her extra saddles, though I'm not sure about fits and such.
So..question is: is it worth it to buy a saddle that fits this horse (most likely different sized than the ones at the barn I actually ride at) just for this show season and a month or two before and after..or just try to find a saddle in my BO's "collection" (meaning she has oodles of extra saddles) and ask her to let me use it and all.
I think it'd be nice if I got the girl's 10 yr her (I believe she's a mare) own saddle and just give it to her to keep in return for letting me use her horse for 4H, but I'm not sure if that'd be practical or such..
BTW-I haven't seen this horse yet, but she's apparently rather calm and a tad difficult to get to actually go. So I'm not really looking to win or anything, just get the experience and such for later..ya know?

iridehorses 04-21-2010 11:02 AM

My suggestion would be to use your $200 for lessons. If you can't borrow a saddle that fits the horse, then I would forget the idea.

My reasoning is this, $200 is not going to buy a decent saddle. Certainly not new or even used. Secondly, to spend money on a saddle for a horse that you are going to borrow just for the show season, to me, is a waste of money that could be better spent on lessons.

ilyTango 04-21-2010 01:02 PM

^^Ditto.
I bought my used saddle for $350, and it was one of the cheaper ones. There's no way $200 is going to get you a decent saddle.

shadowanne 04-21-2010 08:29 PM

^^
Plus all the time and effort it can take to fit a saddle. If you can borrow a saddle, you are golden.