The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How did you find your farrier? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-did-you-find-your-farrier-53234/)

themacpack 04-21-2010 12:35 PM

How did you find your farrier?

The time has come to make a change in the farrier department. So far, though, I am not having much luck in getting a recommendation. The only "horse person" I know personally is where we got the recommendation for the current farrier, so asking them is out. Just wondering what sources have worked well for others in finding a new farrier in their area.

charlicata 04-21-2010 12:57 PM

I found my farrier by talking to a lady at Tractor Supply where I get my feed. He has turned out to be wonderful! He actually knows about setting the angles on walking horses to make them smoother than what they normally are. He's not very expensive and even set up a schedule for a year in advance. Love him and his wife to death!

NittanyEquestrian 04-21-2010 01:10 PM

I would definitely ask around at the local "horsey places" or call your vet. Feed stores, tack stores, horse shows, etc. Find a person that looks knowledgeable or at a show if you like their feet and ask them if they are from your area and like their farrier. A good vet will have worked closely with most of the good farriers in the area and could probably give you a few names if not a personal recommendation. Farriers are so important that people with good ones will gush forever and be quick to hand over their contact info. Also, don't be afraid to try a few out until you find what you're looking for. If you get one out and you're like eh, the feet look ok then try another farrier or two (if your area has that many) and decide which one you like best.

draftrider 04-21-2010 01:47 PM

My farrier of many years retired, so I posted on Craigslist looking for a good one that would trim drafts. Lo and behold I had 10 replies within an hour all suggesting one fellow- who has been wonderful.

shesinthebarn 04-21-2010 01:53 PM

Maybe your state has a list of cerified farriers? That is where I found my current riding horse farrier - a list on a website for cerified farriers in Ontario. Most states/provinces have governing bodies or associations for farriers.

shesinthebarn 04-21-2010 01:56 PM

Find a Farrier
There ya go! The IFA...good luck!

themacpack 04-21-2010 02:05 PM

Thanks, shesinthebarn, that's a great link.
Just my luck, the three counties I can look at (it does pay to be right on the line sometimes, lol) and not one of them has a listing. I may call one a little further out and see if they have any recommendations, though, at least it's a place to start.

Alwaysbehind 04-21-2010 02:53 PM

Are there any boarding, show or lesson barns near you? You could always stop in and ask who they use.

lilbit11011 04-21-2010 03:59 PM

Vet reference, any local horse rescues, feed stores.

smr 04-21-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftrider (Post 611411)
My farrier of many years retired, so I posted on Craigslist looking for a good one that would trim drafts. Lo and behold I had 10 replies within an hour all suggesting one fellow- who has been wonderful.

I'm with you. I see them listed on craigslist all the time.

I found mine at a local horse auction.