The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   I picked the wrong time to graduate! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/i-picked-wrong-time-graduate-53306/)

Ink 04-22-2010 10:06 AM

I picked the wrong time to graduate!

It seems like no one is hiring right now... except for places in New York (city), which I imagine would be one of the more depressing places to live in the world for a horse enthusiast.

I did manage to get an interview in Lexington! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one. I'd love to move up there with all the drool worthy horse farms. So wish me luck!

Anyone else frustrated with job hunting? Feel free to vent here :D

themacpack 04-22-2010 10:14 AM

Good luck on the Lexington lead - that is my favorite area to drive through because of all the beautiful farms and horses.
I saw your thread title and remembered seeing this link on the MSN homepage this morning -- MSN Careers - How Your Refrigerator Can Help Your Job Search - Career Advice Article -- maybe it can help you in your search!
This is a very hard time to be job searching, my job puts me in across the desk from people in the search every day and I know how frustrating it has become. I hope that you find THE job ASAP!

TaMMa89 04-22-2010 12:00 PM

Good luck!

That current recession will be over soon so I'm sure that if you don't get a job now, you'll get one soon.

MN Tigerstripes 04-22-2010 12:29 PM

Me too. I've got a job working with my dad for now, but I'd really like to find SOMETHING to do with the degree I paid a ridiculous amount of money for (Animal Science, Equine Emphasis).

I'm the financial/marketing/office manager for my dad's small business right now. The pay isn't great and I detest the actual work, but it's something right? *sigh* I'm so depressed about this right now.....

Pinto Pony 04-22-2010 04:29 PM

Good luck! I know how it is out there :( I am in RI and I think unemployment is around 12% so job hunting is not fun! I was lucky and and found work through family and friends but I hear alot of depressing stories for new graduates who have to leave the state and head to cities like NY.
Keep your chin up and don't be afraid to stick your neck out and try different approaches to get a job!

.Delete. 04-22-2010 05:43 PM

Ohyes the recession will be over soon especially with the new healthcare plan. :roll:

Keep looking, persistence pays off.

ptvintage 04-23-2010 01:27 PM

Are you using things like career builder and monster.com? I'm also looking for a job, I have been for about two weeks and I've had two interviews so far and alot of emails and phone calls. I've been using those websites to post my resumes as well as sending in my resume to places listed on craigslist.

.Delete. 04-23-2010 05:11 PM

Cragislist is a dangerous kinda place to be looking for a job.

ptvintage 04-23-2010 05:23 PM

I haven't had any problems with using it for anything, neither has anyone I know that uses it.

How could it be dangerous? You email, or you call, and you get a company name, you get human resource's names, you get a website, you do some research. I'm not looking for a job as a prostitute and planning to meet the person in a shady motel :?. It's pretty easy to tell what is a company and what is a trash ad.

I wouldn't post my resume on craigslist, but craigslist is a great place for job listings.

It's about as dangerous as posting on this horse forum is.

.Delete. 04-23-2010 08:10 PM

If you know what your looking for, no its not dangerous. But there are oh so many scams out there. I sent my resume to a few emails, now im getting letters, phonecalls, endless spam about life insurance, and other things. Many of them are just out to get your information so they can talk you into buying things.