The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   What is it about jumping? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/what-about-jumping-53333/)

EventingIsLovee 04-22-2010 04:42 PM

What is it about jumping?

So, I was just thinking about how much fun jumping is, and that it's always been my favorite part of riding. But what about it is so fun? Is it just simply the feel of going over the jump, or is it the feeling of accomplishment after you've taken a jump or ridden the course, is it the nervousness that you finally get over when you raise the height? I can't figure out what it is about jumping that everyone loves so much?

azarni 04-24-2010 12:28 AM

I'd imagine it would be different for each person!
I'm personally a very nervous rider, so jumping is a big confidence boost for me - taking the risk, and coming out alive and feeling like I accomplished something! Others might like it for difference reasons.

equiniphile 04-24-2010 12:31 AM

I'm a Western rider, but shined up my mom's old Pandur saddle over the winter and started teaching myself English. My friend who rides on the IEA team is gonna give me a "lesson" hehe so I'm excited for that. Today I tacked Arthur up English and we cantered over some 18in standards it was rily fun:)

EventingIsLovee 04-24-2010 12:48 AM

That sound like fun! You'll love jumping, it's the best think I could've ever learned on a horse!

equiniphile 04-24-2010 12:59 AM

I love it already! My gelding's 21-22 ish....that's not too old to start teaching him, is it? Hes in really good shape and looks great for his age. The only thing is, when I canter up to the jump, he just wants to run, run, run (like always) until we get like 5 feet from the jump, when I have to nudge him with my heels and catch his head with the bit when he tries to go around the jump to make sure he doesn't drop down to a walk or dodge around the jump. Silly horse :p. Any ideas on how to correct that?

EventingIsLovee 04-24-2010 01:51 AM

Well, do you have a trainer to help out with this? If you do, then ask her how to solve it too, but I know a few things you can do.

If your horse just wants to run at the fence at first, then do some small circles right at the moment when he gets fast. And you can half halt, making sure not to hang on his mouth either, because that can also get a horse wanting to go again.

When he wants to stop or go around the jump, look up-- look where you want to go. I have a problem with staring at the fence on my way to it, so make sure to keep your eyes up, shoulders back, and push him forward to the jump. If you keep your hands steady and keep your hands in front of you, your reins short enough, you also can create a "box" to drive him towards the fence. If you do this, you might actually literally feel like you put horse horse in a box, sending him straight to the jump!

I had to do this a couple years ago on a pony I rode a lot, and it really worked. I hope this helps, I just know a few things from having ridden many different horses before!

equiniphile 04-24-2010 06:15 PM

Thanks, that helped a lot! No, I don't have a trainer but my friend who's my age rides on the IEA and is going to teach us to jump

EventingIsLovee 04-25-2010 10:31 PM

That's awesome it's probably gonna be so funn (:

roro 04-26-2010 03:32 AM

For most people I'd say adrenaline rush. I do some jumping, but don't particularly enjoy it more than any other form of riding.

RedTree 04-26-2010 07:50 AM

I love the feeeling you get when your going over the jump :)
and not to mention how excited my horse gets sometimes.