The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Rules? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/rules-5337/)

free_sprtd 01-15-2008 06:37 PM

Rules?

Does Your stable/barn (boarding) have rules or guidelines that you have to follow when being there, time limit, hours, ect? Just curious.......

Vidaloco 01-15-2008 07:03 PM

I don't board but I can see the logic in having set hours for security reasons. I can't see the reason for any other time restraints though, except maybe if they had only one round pen and many people wanting to use it.

Thoreau 01-15-2008 07:07 PM

yes.

Our biggest one is no dogs- and I'm thankful for that. The BO even keeps her dogs up in runs by her house.

Our "riding" hours are from 7am-10pm, which is awesome to me. Considering my lessons are at 8:30pm ever Wed and Fri x3

Another is if you turned lights on, you turn them off when you leave.

Another is no unaccompanied minors, unless they are the boarder. We had issues with riders bringing their young children (<5) and "loose" them in fields, having them running ans screaming, etc.

free_sprtd 01-15-2008 07:11 PM

oh my goodness! those poor loose children...that's a good rule lol

well we cannot come before 10am. Everyone who wants to use the arena can, just no loose horses. Dogs are allowed. They are kind of weird about letting you bring a group of friends to visit. Dont touch others horses unless you know them (more of a guideline). Turn lights on, turn them off. So far that is all I have learned. I've only been there a month and a half. So i'm sure I will learn more if there are any.

ilovemydun 01-15-2008 07:59 PM

I would not like it if I wasn't allowed to let my horse run loose in the arena! At my current stable the turnouts are quite small and my horse has CRAZY energy. I HAVE to turn her out in the arena before I do anything with her, lol.

Our barn hours are 7am-10pm which is nice, because my schedule is always changing. I like being able to see my horse when I want to.

We also have a good one, don't feed someone elses horse. It didn't happen at my barn, I just heard it from someone. But someone gave a horse a treat, and it ended up choking on it and dying. So, I completely understand and respect that rule.

Uggh, at my old barn this boarder used to bring her dog and all's he would do was run all over the place, chasing cats, jumping on the feed bins, running in stalls, it was SO ANNOYING. If it's the owners dog, that's fine, but someone elses household dog...I don't know how they will react around my horse...I wouldn't want it there.

Clean up after yourself and your horse.
Shut off lights, music, shut doors.

I don't know what else, I've never really asked, lol.

Vidaloco 01-15-2008 08:06 PM

I don't know if I could handle the 10AM time :( I'm an early riser 4-5am and I'm usually out by 7-8 this time of year since thats when it gets light enough. I wonder if thats winter hours? I think I would ask. In the summer that would be prime riding time before 10.

free_sprtd 01-15-2008 08:17 PM

No it's not winter hours....he just said that's when he is out there cleaning and getting situated for the day and likes it to be quiet and stuff. The second cleaning of the day is usually when I come by. Im not a morning person so I dont mind really, but it would be nice sometimes.

We can turn them loose in the arena, just as long as no one else is out there working.

jazzyrider 01-16-2008 05:15 AM

wow! no one before 10am. that would suck for me. i have to start work at 10am so that would really mess me around. i usually get to my horses about 7am-ish. early mornings are sort of a horsey part of life

anyways, im moving to a pony club on the weekend so ill use that. we can be there whatever times we want to.

no touching others horses (unless you have permission or its an emergency and you're helping out until help arrives)

when riding you must wear a helmet

no horses free in the arena unless you are there and there is no one else wanting to use it

lock the gate when you leave

and always use arena etiquette

thats about it really

free_sprtd 01-16-2008 12:23 PM

hmmmm....maybe i should talk to him about that 10am thing. I have to be to work @ 11 and have a 30 min commute so I can't go at 10 and make it to work. I usually leave during the day at work around 1 and go to visit him. It kinda sucks leaving during the day and driving an hour, but I gotta do what I can. hmmmmm......maybe I'll ask more questions lol.

kim_angel 01-16-2008 04:22 PM

when I was looking for a place to bring my horse I found this really nice Equestrian Center. However, the hours were 10am to 6pm.
Ummm, I wouldnt get to see my horse all week, only on weekends, for $475.00 a month. I decided against that.

I found a place where there are only two boarders... me and another woman. She has two horses there and I have three. Plus the BO has 2 horses. Basically we can come and go whenever. But she doesnt really want us there after the horses are in for the night in the winter because some will kick the stalls if they are "woken up".