The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Medicine Cabinet For Your Horses at Home (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/medicine-cabinet-your-horses-home-53388/)

Rosebud64 04-23-2010 12:43 PM

Medicine Cabinet For Your Horses at Home

What do you all have in your medicine cabinet for your horses at home? Basically interested in what you have to treat wounds and detect sickness.

StormyBlues 04-23-2010 01:27 PM

Linament, DMSO(gel and liquid) badadine, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, furison, neosporin, which hazel, Epsom salts, wrapping things, bandage sicssors, thermometer, saline solution, alcohol swabs, benadril, isoxoprine, asprin, uniprim, batril, banamine, and bute. And I'll probably think of more
Posted via Mobile Device

cmvet 04-23-2010 10:44 PM

Hello Cheryl,

Here is what I recommend for my clients I see on a regular basis (as we can not leagally prescribe medication for a patient we have not seen within 12 months) in regards to just medications to have on hand.

Phenylbutazone (Bute)
Flunixamine (Banamine)
Trimethoprimsulfa (TMS, SMZ, Sulfas....what ever name you know them by)
Acepromazine (Ace)
Dexamethazone (Dex)
Neo-poly-bacitracin ophthalmic ointment (eye ointment witn NO steroid)

It's a pretty short list for most clients when talking about prescription medications. I also advise my clients to always call me before needing to give anything so we can discuss the situation. I say this a lot, but you should have the type of relationship with your vet, where you feel comfortable calling them just to ask questions.

There are a whole slew of recommendations regarding things to have in a first aid kit, and the post has been stickied in the health section.

tealamutt 04-24-2010 01:43 AM

I think it is also important that you know how to give injections and that you practice (because likely you will be nervous to panicky when you actually need to do them) so that you can make sure you can get the meds you need into your horse. If you don't know how, your vet should be more than willing to give you a tutorial. I definitely recommend checking out the first aid sticky as well!

flytobecat 04-24-2010 01:59 AM

We have betadine, epsom salt, bute, banamine, furizone, wonder dust, cortizone cream, swat, granulex, various bandages, wraps, & gauze.