The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Starting to train others' horses.. need help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/starting-train-others-horses-need-help-5341/)

JustDressageIt 01-15-2008 11:01 PM

Starting to train others' horses.. need help!

Hello all,

I was recently contacted by a woman wanting me to put some time in on her mare.
I have been riding and training for 15+ years, and have trained many a young one in my time, but have never taken on another person's horse for training (for profit) before. I am confident that I can do my job well... but I need some help with minor details:

- should I get her to fill out any liability forms?
- how much should I charge? I'm probably going to be training this horse 2-3 times per week, and taking the time out to drive a half hour to her barn.
-is there anything else to be concerned about?

Any tips or anything at all would be wonderful and greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

jazzyrider 01-15-2008 11:17 PM

Re: Starting to train others' horses.. need help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt
Hello all,

I was recently contacted by a woman wanting me to put some time in on her mare.
I have been riding and training for 15+ years, and have trained many a young one in my time, but have never taken on another person's horse for training (for profit) before. I am confident that I can do my job well... but I need some help with minor details:

- should I get her to fill out any liability forms?
- how much should I charge? I'm probably going to be training this horse 2-3 times per week, and taking the time out to drive a half hour to her barn.
-is there anything else to be concerned about?

Any tips or anything at all would be wonderful and greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

me personally, i would cover my butt :) i think there should be something covering you for any injury the horse might sustain. i mean, what if, youre riding along and something awful happens and the horse dumps you and runs through a barbed wire fence and rips himself to shreds. the last thing you need is someone suing you for all you have.

as far as how much to charge goes maybe you could ring a few trainers and find out what they charge. then you can make your fee based on what others are charging. i give private lessons and charge about 25% less than everyone else. its $45 per hour and i will travel up to 15km from home for no extra. after that there is a small surcharge which covers petrol and my extra time. i worked this out based on fairness and providing more accessible lessons for everyone.

i would say mostly to just be sure that the person who owns this horse knows that not everything is 100% going to work and that you cant tell her with certainty that training will help. quite often the horse will do well for you because you know what you are doing but that doesnt mean that the owner wont get it back and have the same issues she had before. she must also be trained to ride to get the best out of her horse. but, thats going off track a little lol

good luck with it all

JustDressageIt 01-15-2008 11:36 PM

Thanks Jazzy!!

I would be fine figuring out a price for lessons, because I have taught before, but taking on a horse, without teaching a rider, is something new for me, so I can't figure out what to charge. Most places charge per month, but those places usually like to have the horse boarded at the place, and it's worked 5 times per week, but I don't have my own training barn, nor the time to devote to 5 times per week for a horse that isn't mine.

The covering my own butt thing has me wondering another thing:
Do I need to become registered in some way, or get a lawyer to draw up a contract so that I can't be sued?

Any additional help would be wonderful!!

jazzyrider 01-15-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt
Thanks Jazzy!!

I would be fine figuring out a price for lessons, because I have taught before, but taking on a horse, without teaching a rider, is something new for me, so I can't figure out what to charge. Most places charge per month, but those places usually like to have the horse boarded at the place, and it's worked 5 times per week, but I don't have my own training barn, nor the time to devote to 5 times per week for a horse that isn't mine.

The covering my own butt thing has me wondering another thing:
Do I need to become registered in some way, or get a lawyer to draw up a contract so that I can't be sued?

Any additional help would be wonderful!!

i get what youre saying. maybe you can base your prices on similar to lessons + a certain percentage given that you are riding the horse and at risk if anything went wrong. plus, IMO you are using more of your knowledge/talent when training another persons horse.

i dont know how things work in the states as far as being registered to train horses goes but i wouldnt imagine so. a lot of people do it to earn that little extra cash to help pay for their own horses etc i would think about legally doing something up though. or maybe find out how another trainer does it. you really do need your own butt covered though i think. you could even so up your own forms that people fill in when they 'hire' you. there can be a waiver of responsibility if the horse gets hurt or they dont get the outcome they thought they were going to etc with these forms you can also cover everything you need the horses owner to know so nothing can come back on you if they decide to say they werent aware of such-and-such. you both could then sign it and have it witnessed by someone qualified to witness that stuff to make it a legal contract. but im no lawyer, so it would be best to find out how things like that would work in your country :)

horsecrazy29 01-16-2008 10:22 AM

There are liability form on the net for boarding, riding, lessons and training. All you have to do is alter them to fit your needs.

If you are calling yourself a business then yes you need to get all legal beagle in that aspect.

As for price, this is my opinion and how I work things.
I charge for my gas, they want me to travel they pay it, if its more then a 1/2 hour away.

I train the owner and the horse, meaning I train and the owner I need to make sure knows how to handle the horse and use the methods I used to train his/her horse.

Price depends really, are you confident? Then make a confident price. Trainers around her get 65+ an hour.

The forms are always my priority and I get the owners signiture and I sign it under her, I make sure I have the training hours on the paper as well.

When I do work with the horse I keep a journal, got here such and such time, horse was quiet brushed the horse worked on ground manners etc. and login the time I left and how the horse was. This helps me keep track of progress and also shows the owner the progress.

Good luck!! And most of all Enjoy.

Harlee rides horses 01-16-2008 04:06 PM

Liability, yes. Charge her enough for your training potential, such as if you feel confident in training and that you will do a good job and she will be a good horse, then charge her according to that.

Delregans Way 01-16-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

me personally, i would cover my butt i think there should be something covering you for any injury the horse might sustain. i mean, what if, youre riding along and something awful happens and the horse dumps you and runs through a barbed wire fence and rips himself to shreds. the last thing you need is someone suing you for all you have.

as far as how much to charge goes maybe you could ring a few trainers and find out what they charge. then you can make your fee based on what others are charging. i give private lessons and charge about 25% less than everyone else. its $45 per hour and i will travel up to 15km from home for no extra. after that there is a small surcharge which covers petrol and my extra time. i worked this out based on fairness and providing more accessible lessons for everyone.

i would say mostly to just be sure that the person who owns this horse knows that not everything is 100% going to work and that you cant tell her with certainty that training will help. quite often the horse will do well for you because you know what you are doing but that doesnt mean that the owner wont get it back and have the same issues she had before. she must also be trained to ride to get the best out of her horse. but, thats going off track a little lol

good luck with it all
Well said, i agree :)

twinkle_toes 01-16-2008 07:48 PM

My trainer charges $55/hr for a training ride...but the horses are boarded there.

JustDressageIt 01-16-2008 08:09 PM

Thank you all for your replies!

If I were teaching a lesson, I would be more htan happy to charge $45/hr, however I'm training the horse (not the owner) and so I don't think the prices would be the same... any thoughts?

Also, can anyone suggest a website to visit for the legal forms I'll need?

Thanks again! I'm very excited about starting a training program, and I hope it works :)

I will definitely take the suggestions to heart, and I am most definitely keeping a journal of progress. I'll try and get some before/after pics and videos up :)