The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Is 7 years old to old to start? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/7-years-old-old-start-53458/)

paintluver 04-24-2010 02:30 PM

Is 7 years old to old to start?

I just got my mare Demi in December, and she either has not been trained at all (What the man who sold her to us told us, but he didn't know what he was talking about) or she was trained as a 2 year old (What the girl told me that apparently knows all 3 of my new horses really well).
But anyways, I have been watching my mare move and stop, and man she is a born reiner it looks like to me. I have seen her roll back and stop and just in the pasture she is great at it.

Does anyone think 7 is to old to start her on reining?

smrobs 04-24-2010 02:49 PM

Absolutely not. Though she is too old for many of the high winning futurities, you could still enter her in open shows or, if she gets good enough, maybe some of the senior classes with the NRHA. If nothing else, training would improve her self carriage and give you a very well trained horse to ride and do whatever you wanted to.

Allison Finch 04-24-2010 02:57 PM

Not too late at all.

The stallion I'm riding in my avatar was not put under saddle until he was 8. He was so rank no one wanted to handle him except to breed. He was awful! I felt sorry for his isolation and started working with him. He came around incredibly fast and was a brilliant learner.

It is NEVER too late, as long as you gain the horse's trust and cooperation.

StylishK 04-24-2010 03:10 PM

Definitely not. My mare wasn't finished in reining until well this winter and she's 9 this year. She did know how to stop and spin before that...just not amazingly well.

CloudsMystique 04-25-2010 07:46 AM

I just started my mare in March, a week before she turned 6. It hasn't slowed her down one bit.

HowClever 04-25-2010 07:48 AM

I've got two 7 year olds being started under saddle this year. Not for reining, but still can't imagine it being too late!

kevinshorses 04-25-2010 10:26 AM

You could wait and see if she gets any younger! Go for it.

SorrelHorse 04-26-2010 02:09 AM

Well she certainly isn't getting any younger.
Posted via Mobile Device

paintluver 04-28-2010 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone. I am going to talk with my trainer and hopefully get her started on reining really soon!
I am so excited!