The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Putting on weight? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/putting-weight-53471/)

Supermane 04-24-2010 06:35 PM

Putting on weight?

Does anyone know any good supplements that will help my TB gelding gain the weight he lost over the winter?

He's currently eating good quality hay and grass and gets fed grain twice a day (a standard tin full of athlete horse feed and 2 qts ultium competition horse feed, which are both purina mills). He is gaining weight slowly, but is there anything to help him along?
He gets a smartpak, so it'd be great if we could add it to that, but he is a very picky eater.

themacpack 04-24-2010 07:46 PM

Weight gain is a slow process. The best thing for it is what it sounds like you are doing already, free-choice quality hay. What has worked for our TB mare is good quality hay and Strategy w/rice bran. We made the move to that last fall and she came through this winter SO well. The previous winter she came through kind of rough and looked poor when she shed out in the spring. This winter was a lot colder/harsher and she came through it a thousand times better.
One thing you could consider using to help boost weight would be beet pulp.

Duma 04-24-2010 07:49 PM

horses do get tapeworms keep him on monthly dewormers for both tapeworms and hookworms . most horse owners dont keep up with dewormers
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermane (Post 614200)
Does anyone know any good supplements that will help my TB gelding gain the weight he lost over the winter?

He's currently eating good quality hay and grass and gets fed grain twice a day (a standard tin full of athlete horse feed and 2 qts ultium competition horse feed, which are both purina mills). He is gaining weight slowly, but is there anything to help him along?
He gets a smartpak, so it'd be great if we could add it to that, but he is a very picky eater.

Supermane 04-24-2010 07:55 PM

He is wormer and he won't eat beet pulp.

He isn't really skinny, just thin and we are trying to get his weight up for competition.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m.../Nani028-1.jpg
This is what he looks like (from a few weeks ago)

themacpack 04-24-2010 08:00 PM

There is no reason to deworm monthly - even the standard (now being steered away from by many) rotation called only for every other month deworming. Deworming monthly is throwing away money as well as increasing the issue of resistance in the parasites.

MIEventer 04-24-2010 08:49 PM

My guy is on grass plus a round bale in his paddock with his face stuffed infront of it. And he is getting 3lbs of purina ultium and 2lbs of purina senior per feeding, twice a day, and he is also getting Ultimate Finish 100 - and he's still ribby.

I would have him scoped for ulcers, first thing. And I would look into digestion aids.

I have my guy on SmartDigest Ultra, SmartGut, SmartB1 and SmartC through SmartPak.

All suggested by my vet, and the digestive suppliments have been helping to ensure that his digestive tract is working properly, plus he is getting pro and prebiodics to ensure that he is absorbing what he needs to be absorbing to help him gain weight.

Ulcers will really impede a horse from gaining weight, so you might want to look into that for sure.

Duma 04-24-2010 08:55 PM

he looks good so far just keep up with deworming
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermane (Post 614265)
He is wormer and he won't eat beet pulp.

He isn't really skinny, just thin and we are trying to get his weight up for competition.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m.../Nani028-1.jpg
This is what he looks like (from a few weeks ago)

Duma 04-24-2010 08:57 PM

I found out through internet it was a monthly scheduale
Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 614266)
There is no reason to deworm monthly - even the standard (now being steered away from by many) rotation called only for every other month deworming. Deworming monthly is throwing away money as well as increasing the issue of resistance in the parasites.

Duma 04-24-2010 09:13 PM

I checked on the deworming scheduale and found out that it is every other month, my bad but I have had good signs of how much i gave my horses. Thanks for complaining on the monthly deworming but the doasages i gave havent done any harm but i will give two dewormers in the same month but every other monthly deworming.
Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 614266)

justsambam08 04-24-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duma (Post 614311)
I found out through internet it was a monthly scheduale

Even through the new (and now preferred) method of worming where you have a fecal egg count done before the worming, i believe its once a season...so once every 3 months