I had an emergency today
So my horse hasnt been doing too grand the past couple of days.
We had the vet come out because she wasnt pooping and not eating as much as she does. She wasn't herself so I got the vet over and he the vet said she coliced last night,she has some jaundice(they said it can be caused by eating grass and not too worry about it),had a fever,and she is impacted. The gave her some benamine and pumped her with mineral oil to flush her system out.
They also told me she has had a baby before...but that's not a big subject right now. I am suppose to call the vet every morning and night to update them and if she doesn't pass anything then she needs to be pumped again the vet said.
I am FREAKING out. I never experienced this and I DON'T WANT my horse to die....I mean ..I'm not in a complete safe zone yet. I'm in a 50/50 zone of what could happen. I was told horses intestines can blow in 72 hours caused by impaction so if this mineral oil doesn't help quickly then I might not have my gidget.
omg my heart is with you i just lost my boy to colic in march i hope she pulls through!
Sorry to hear.
One of my boys had a severe dose of impaction colic a couple of weeks ago. We spent 4 days with him before we started to see the oil coming through! I know how scary it is, but just keep your hopes up and definitely keep in touch with your vet. Hugo had to have a return visit, but he came out of it in the end.
I'm so sorry :( :(
I know it is so hard to go through, I almost lost my guy to a severe colic in Janurary, which was in his Ceacum. I know it is rough and stressfull and depressing, but right now your baby needs you.
I would look into SmartPak as well, they have suppliments to help your horses digestive system and tracts working properly, which is what I put my guy on after his massive colic.
I would look into SmartDigest Ultra and TractGuard.
All the best! *HUGS* Sending good vibes your way!
Last night they had to sedate my horse because she was very angry and I couldn't control my horse(ended up getting kick in the knee when I stepped in the pen to check on her..I am fine though) nor could my fiance. So the vet came and checked her out and offered to take her to their house to monitor her.
Today when I went out I took her temp. It was 102.8 F which is not good. I checked it not too long ago and it was 102 F . They said that I need to keep an eye out on her so I am taking her temperature often.
She is starting to pass the mineral oil and some poop along with it so its working. I am able to touch her sides without her trying to kick or bite me..she has some bowel sounds..her gums are light pink, she is drinking her water finally. The vet said that those are good signs and that she has a good chance of living now. She is going to their house tomorrow...they live like 2 blocks down the road. They will pump her with more oil and monitor her there. She is in good hands.
So everyone pray for Gidget. She's depressed because she can't go out to see her friends and she is SOOOO hungry but has to wait. She's a tough girl.
Good to hear. She's in my prayers.
Posted via Mobile Device
My thoughts are with you! When I owned my guy he went through a terrible colic experience, they were about 80% sure he wasn't going to make it. But he did, so there is hope!
It does sound like she's getting better, but don't let your guard down just yet.
We're all here for you, give Gidget a pat for me.
Awww I'm sorry! A lady at the barn I board at is going through a hard colic situation as well. Her arab stallion though is 33 and still isn't doing good at all from last Tuesday.
I'm happy your horse is having a much better outcome than he is. I hate seeing/hearing people go through this stuff. My thoughts are with you. *hugs*
Thats a big step in the right direction. I'm glad to hear that he's heading the right way so far. Just keep a watchful eye on him. Good luck.
Glad he's getting there, I'll keep him in my thoughts
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0