The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Messy mane and tail (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/messy-mane-tail-5351/)

kitten_Val 01-16-2008 08:38 AM

Messy mane and tail

Can I use anything on mane and tale to prevent the mess? I comb them almost every day, but next day it's like untouched for month (especially for my paint with heavy mane and wavy tail). Is there any kind of sprayer or something on market? I've seen coat conditioners, but my guess they should be used right after shampoo and washed out (which is not a case with weather outside).

Vidaloco 01-16-2008 08:52 AM

I have to again recommend the MTG. I think it helps keep the mane and tail easier to maintain. Vida's hair has a tendancy to go into dreadlocks really quick if I don't brush her for a few days. The MTG helps keep it from getting tangled up. I apply it at the root and just work it through.

kim_angel 01-16-2008 11:11 AM

Show Sheen works miracles too.

Make combing much easier as well

kitten_Val 01-16-2008 11:42 AM

Thanks a lot! Just one more question... Are those called "conditioners" or it's something else?

kim_angel 01-16-2008 04:31 PM

ShowSheen is a detangler
http://www.kyhorse.com/store/groomin.../showsheen.htm

firelight27 01-16-2008 06:57 PM

I use Show Sheen as well, it is a great detangler and it leaves an instant shine.

You can also work some Mane N' Tail conditioner into the hair. It makes it alot easier to comb/brush out, and it keeps the hair from sticking together as much. You should be able to find this brand in just about any feed/tack store that sells horse shampoos and conditioners.

Try washing her mane and tail and shampooing and conditioning it. Wash the shampoo out, but not the conditioner. You can also try to braid the mane and tail after you wash/comb it. You could put a tail bag and slinky on her to keep the braids neat and flat, but if she is turned out they might get lost or ripped.

If you are just trying to manage her mane and want it to be less tangled, but don't need a perfect mane all the time, then just braid the hair and forget the bag/slinky.

Tessa Bear 01-16-2008 09:32 PM

cowboy magic all the way! i have used all of the above mentioned and:
1. MTG is wonderful for mane growth--never used it as a detangler as it is so greasy and makes my horses mane get full of dust and debris

2. Showsheen--i have used at shows at a body shine of sorts, and it does keep the mane slick but it does that last.

Cowboy magic os by for my favorite, a little pricey but let me tell you it works, i apply it once every 10 days and it is always easy to brush through even in between applications.

Abby 01-16-2008 11:11 PM

My horses mane and tail both go to dreads after a day or so without being brushed. I have to apply Mane-n-Tail brand detangler/conditioner daily as well as MTG once or twice a week to keep it nice otherwise it just looks like a Jamaican hairdo.. He's a Morgan boy he sure has the hair to match it! It drags on the ground and is way messy. I have to cut it otherwise he get big huge snowballs clotted in his tail that I have to melt because they turn to icy snowballs. by afternoon. I loved his long tail now its shorter :(

kitten_Val 01-17-2008 06:58 AM

Thanks a lot, guys! That's exactly what I needed "detangler". Just didn't know how it called. Will look for all those brands at Expo this week (gonna be hundreds of vendors there!)...

Vidaloco 01-17-2008 07:16 AM

oohh I love horse expos. Ours is coming up in a few weeks Equifest. Craig Cameron was suppose to be there but there was a date change so he couldn't make it :(