The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Help!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/help-53511/)

MaggiStar 04-25-2010 09:14 AM

Help!!

Ok i have an eventing championships in the summer but team training starts in like 2months. I have a bright bay mare with 3white socks and a white face i need her to look AMAZING for the summer as were going to be doing alot of travlelinng and competeing etc i want to start her now so she is looking her best for it has anyone any tips on how she can basically look WOW she is currently in the field for 9hours and rugged up and stabled each night she will be ridden 6times a week for an hour plus so i need to be able to make her look as healthy as possible enhance her muscle definniton have her smooth and shiny
thanks guys

kmacdougall 04-25-2010 09:21 AM

There are supplements you can buy to prevent her fading if that's what you're looking for, I know they're available but I'm not really familiar with them myself.
Other then that it's going to take elbow grease - lots of grooming! She'll be nice and shiny if you groom her lots and put work into it.
And you'll have to condition her to keep her muscles looking top notch.

MaggiStar 04-25-2010 09:41 AM

Alot of fading supplements are going to show up in drug tests is the only prob and they are going to be constantly checked for drugs so we are not to take the chance really! yea im looking more for you know like time saving ideas really on every aspect

kmacdougall 04-25-2010 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggiStar (Post 614693)
Alot of fading supplements are going to show up in drug tests is the only prob and they are going to be constantly checked for drugs so we are not to take the chance really! yea im looking more for you know like time saving ideas really on every aspect

There are herbal ones that don't show up in drug tests, I used to see them advertised in a magazine I had, I'd ask at a feed store. They'll probably know.
And as far as time saving.. there might be a few shortcuts but to get a really good looking horse it's going to take time and elbow grease.

ETA: this is what my horse looks like after an hour of grooming and rubbing down with a nice soft cloth.. The work really does pay off it you're willing to spend some time doing it.

MaggiStar 04-25-2010 10:23 AM

O your horse is gorgeous. ye she is naturally a shiny horse but i dont thin im explaining this right k she basically needs to be able to look like that in as short space as possible we are literally competing or training teice a week and with travelling abroad they tend to not feel the greatest the next day but all have to look it if you get me??

Strange 04-25-2010 04:29 PM

You need to do exactly what a previous poster said, just put a lot of effort into grooming her. If she's getting regular, thorough grooming then there's no reason for her to look bad at all. If you start grooming her thoroughly NOW then it won't be hard to KEEP her looking good.

MaggiStar 04-25-2010 05:07 PM

Ye i am grooming her reg before and after rides but tips to look good on the road all the time you know

thunderhooves 04-25-2010 06:31 PM

Um, can you use more periods in your sentences?
The only thing you can do is keep her muscular, fed well, and groomed well. Nothing else will make her shiny!

bellatink89 04-25-2010 10:10 PM

definitely diet will help maintain it - and groom groom groom. i like healthy haircare's moisturizer. its amazing stuff. nd shapely's no 1 light oil is GREAT for shine. rub it in with a cloth real good.and tail and mane and highlight her face with it.

rocky pony 04-26-2010 02:12 AM

If what you're asking is how to be able to make it happen without putting effort into it, that's not going to happen. Same as everybody else says, lots of work. Showing is lots of work.
If you want to keep her feeling good, make sure she gets good food and water on the road. That's all you can really do for that, make sure she's comfortable and eating well.