The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   has anyone used 'vita flex hard keeper" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/has-anyone-used-vita-flex-hard-53513/)

barrelracingchik101 04-25-2010 09:43 AM

has anyone used 'vita flex hard keeper"

i bought this stuff for my horse hopeing it would put weight on him and he has been on it for a while and i havent seen any change, he actually looks worse. i dont think its worms because i double wormed him.. i just dont know what to do.. i feel so bad for him.

qtrhrsecrazy 04-25-2010 09:53 AM

What did you 'double' worm him with? And how long ago?

justsambam08 04-25-2010 09:54 AM

what else are you feeding him? What kind, and how much hay? Is he getting turned out on grass?

barrelracingchik101 04-25-2010 02:03 PM

i used safe guard and i forgot what the other one was. i was told to use diffrent ones. about 3 weeks ago............ the feed m giveing him is 10:10 and is getting a scoop in morning and night, and gets three flakes of t&a morning and night. he has grass in his pen but dosnt eat it

justsambam08 04-25-2010 02:38 PM

I would say a HUGE red flag is a horse that doesn't eat grass. I have a horse who was off the track, who had never seen grass before in his life, and as soon as he got put on it he was eating it.

I would take him off the sweet feed and put something that's high in fat like a senior feed. I also had recommended to me Max E Glo, which is put on top of whatever else you're feeding.

HalfPass 04-25-2010 09:04 PM

Hello there.
I might suggest that you have a fecal test done. This will tell you if there is something going on with parasites.

My mare is somewhat of a "har keeper" She will sometimes have what I call "ploppy poop" or cow pies.
It comes and goes.

When she arrived she was pretty skinny and shortly after ariving to me she went to 60 days training.

Returned and had to have surgery. So it has been a battle for the weight issue.

What i have her on is 3 flakes grass hay morn and eve.
I give her about 3-4 pounds of Ultium and 5lbs of Rice Bran pellets.

She can not go out to turnout for grazing so when I can I hand graze.

For her nervous tummy I have started her on SmartPak's Succeed. It says that it takes 90 days to see a good result, but I have already noticed some difference.

I have heard the vets speak about Weight Builder as a good choice for getting weight on, but because my mare is a picky girl I have not tried it. I figure since I finally am seeing some results with what I am currently doing why change things....

I think you will have to find what your horse likes but something other than sweetfeed. That is to me the equiv- of junk food. But to each his own.
Different things work so there are many products out there.

LMF supersuppliment is another and they have many varieties to choose from.

hp

tealamutt 04-25-2010 09:35 PM

If you have tried covering the basics ie) deworming and adequate nutrition, it is time to call in the vet. Anytime a horse is dropping weight when they should be starting to fatten up again, you should be concerned and a medical professional would be your first course of action!