The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Book Recommendations (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/book-recommendations-53523/)

kmacdougall 04-25-2010 03:38 PM

Book Recommendations

Hi guys, I didn't see another thread for this so correct me if I'm wrong, but I figured we could share some book recommendations since summer is coming and we may have some extra time to read when not on our horses!

I'll start with my top 3 picks.

The Pillars of the Earth
Ken Follett
Audience: Probably 24+, it's a pretty hard read unless you get into it but it is definitely an EPIC NOVEL!

The Bishop's Man
Linden MacIntyre
Audience: 30+, its an incredible book, especially those interested in the church, particularly Catholic, and the scandal that it's been facing for years. Very different writing style. Linden is an incredible journalist, even better writer, and a wonderful man (met him a few times).

No Great Mischief
Alistair MacLeod
Audience: 18+, great book about families and the troubles they face and how they stick together.

And my beach reads will definitely be John Grisham, Dick Francis, Tom Clancy, and Arthur Slade. :D

What will you be reading? Or recommending?

TaMMa89 04-25-2010 05:01 PM

I can recommend some authors since I can't decide what are their best books. So for those who like about medical thrillers:

Robin Cook: I liked especially Toxin, where a doctor-mom tries to solve a secret about a hamburger which poisoned her daughter. I like also a series in which Jack Stapleton, a coroner and hero, adventures.

Michael Palmer: Reminds a lot of Robin Cook, both content of his stories and his style to write.

Tess Gerritsen: Female version of aboves. Really knows how to keep her readers excited.

TaMMa89 05-14-2010 05:37 PM

Have to say, now I found a book that seems to turn one of my most bright favorites.

It's Paulo Coelho's Veronika Decide Morrer (Veronika Decides Die) and personally I experience it includes some very philosophical but still down-to-earth themes which have helped at least me to sort out some of my thoughts.

I still wouldn't recommend that to very young people but bit older ones.

shesinthebarn 05-15-2010 10:43 PM

The Sookie Stackhouse books! Not exactly a cerebral experience, but they are smart, SEXY, fun and addictive. Awesome vampire series that puts twilight to shame. One critic called them "popcorn for smart people". I'd say they were 18+ as there is a lot of sex etc. that is pretty graphic.
These are the novels tht HBO's seried "True Blood" is based on. New season starts June 13!! CAN'T WAIT!

Benny 05-19-2010 09:33 AM

I'm gonna add a book more for 13+s, though my mum enjoyed it too. It's Urban Fantasy.
Midnighters, by Scott Westerfeld. I think it's 3 or 4 books in total. But as allways, the first one is best.
Also for an older book, 13+ read, Wild Pony, by Lucy Rees. I love the old horse books, as they're not -just- focused on the horse, and aren't for kids 12 and under.
And then as always, check out Fiction Press, if you're looking for an online book. Tons to chose from. :D