The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   When Do I Worry When My Horse Lays Down? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/when-do-i-worry-when-my-53553/)

Rosebud64 04-25-2010 09:10 PM

When Do I Worry When My Horse Lays Down?

I have a new mare, I have had her here about 2 months, but only by herself and one other horse for about 3 weeks. (before that, there were 8 horses here total). I have noticed in the last 3 weeks, that she lays down more than any other horse I have ever had. Today, I noticed she has layed down alot (probably 5 times that I noticed). She is not in any distress, no looking at belly, minimal rolling, no kicking at belly when up, nothing that really screams colic. I also noticed that when she is laying, she is still eating grass (we have very nice pastures, and they were put on the nicest one today). She ate her grain as usual. I am a new farm owner, life time boarder, so I am a little "gun-shy". Do some horses lay down a lot? I have just never had that experience and I don't want to worry needlessly. When should I worry?

Carleen 04-25-2010 09:20 PM

It doesn't sound like anything to worry about, seems to me like she's just relaxing.
However, perhaps someone else will have a suggestion that says otherwise, don't reply just on me.

Strange 04-25-2010 09:27 PM

I don't think anything's wrong. It sounds like she just feels very secure and relaxed in her surroundings.

smrobs 04-25-2010 09:41 PM

That's what it sounds like to me too. Some horses will lay down more than others and the fact that she is doing it so much says that she is comfortable where she is.

NorthernMama 04-25-2010 09:43 PM

It could be nothing at all -- just that she is happy and enjoying the sun and extra room, but watch for stiffness in her movements, swelling in joints. If anything else is going on, I would think of arthritis. Only because it happened to me. Does her age or history give any indication that arthritis could be a factor in her life?

roro 04-25-2010 09:48 PM

Sounds normal, but I'd check her joints (arthritis) and her hooves just to be sure.

kevinshorses 04-25-2010 10:40 PM

When she starts to smell funny and lthe buzzards are circling then you should worry! It's spring and she is soaking up as much sun as she can. Once it gets hot she won't lay down as much.

thunderhooves 04-25-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 615344)
When she starts to smell funny and lthe buzzards are circling then you should worry! It's spring and she is soaking up as much sun as she can. Once it gets hot she won't lay down as much.

ROFL, I agree!

Rosebud64 04-25-2010 10:43 PM

Well, the buzzards were circling.....no they weren't!!!!!!! I thought she was fine and was just enjoying the grass and the day....but I can't help but worry. Thanks, everyone! You guys are the best!

thunderhooves 04-25-2010 10:47 PM

aw, thanks! :)