The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Help Galloping (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/help-galloping-53577/)

JenC 04-26-2010 02:24 AM

Help Galloping

Hi Everyone!

I had my first gallop today, albeit unintentionally. I was with a few more experienced girls, and I thought we were going to lope/canter, but as it turned out we went for a full gallop.

It was so exhilarating, yet scary at the same time. I have always had a fear of the gallop, but I am glad I finally experienced and survived it ;)

I'm proud I made it, however not so proud of my riding as I was hanging onto the saddle horn the whole time. I was hoping someone could provide some tips on mastering the gallop. I have been reading a lot about the 2 point position, but as I ride western, I'm not sure if that is the correct form for my riding style/saddle.

I basically rode the gallop the same way I ride a lope/canter, with a deep seat and tried to move forward and back with the movement of my horse keeping my weight in my heels. Only difference is I was using the saddle horn for balance, something I don't often have to do at a lope. Practice makes perfect?

Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thank you!

horsea 04-26-2010 06:16 PM

Yeah pretty much practice. Try threading your free hand's fingers (I'm assuming you neck rein) through his mane and picking your seat up and off of your horses back at first. It really helps you get a feel for the rythem. Just please wear a helmet when you practice :)

Lonestar22 04-26-2010 07:12 PM

I allways rise outta the seat and lean forward when I gallop.

horsegirlmaddy 04-26-2010 11:00 PM

It depends on the length of the gallop. If you're going for a little jaunt through an open field, sitting deep and going with the motion is probably the best way to go. Make sure, though, that with the added speed and motion, you aren't giving and taking on your horse's mouth as you try to move with him!

If you're racing, or going for a longer fitness gallop, I would recommend trying to stand up. You can do a sort of modified 2-point position, just don't lean too far forward, because any unexpected movements or loss of balance could bring you down on the horn, which would be a painful experience that could break a few ribs!

Have fun, enjoy galloping, and ride safely!!!

JenC 04-27-2010 01:32 PM

Thanks! Good advice everyone!

I think I will practice this modified 2 point position at a lope, and once I feel comfortable in it, I'll practice it at the gallop.

I wasn't wearing a helmet last time, but I will DEFINITELY be wearing one the next. I think this was the first time I truly appreciated and understood the power of a horse.

horsegirlmaddy 04-27-2010 06:15 PM

Yes, definitely wear a helmet! I'm glad you understand how easily you could get seriously injured. Your head is the most important part of your body, PROTECT IT!

It also REALLY helps to practice your modified two-point at the trot, it builds up your muscle stamina for when you're doin it with a lot more motion!

JenC 04-27-2010 07:03 PM

Ah, good idea. I could definitely use the stamina in my legs, that is for sure. :)

horsegirlmaddy 04-27-2010 10:57 PM

Yes, and not only will it help out your galloping, but you just CAN'T go wrong with strong legs!!

flamingauburnmustang 04-29-2010 10:27 AM

Yay! Congrats! I'm sure it was great, and with practise you will enjoy it even more! :grin:

When I gallop, I raise myself slighly out of the saddle to free up the horse's back (unless I am wanting to stop or slow the horse down, hehe). But right now I haven't been able to gallop, because at the moment I am trying to calm Night Heat's mind... (and I'm sure a mad gallop in the field will ruin alot of the work I have achieved so far). :lol:

JenC 04-29-2010 01:34 PM

It was fun. I have been thinking about it all week. I never realized how much the horses enjoy it was well!

My horse started out fussing about leaving the group behind (we were in a big group), but then when the girls went out for a second gallop after we had returned to the group, he was fussing about not being able to go with them. He just wanted to go, go, go after he had a taste!