The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Nova's Training Thread! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/novas-training-thread-53671/)

HorsesAreForever 04-27-2010 11:06 AM

Nova's Training Thread!

For those who aren't sure who Nova is, shes my new 8 year old reg solid paint mare! Shes green due to her sitting in a paddock for 3 years doing nothing. Just started getting back into work maybe a month ago.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...hele/Novap.jpg

This will be where I post my questions I have about her, and our progress on a day to day bases. I hope some people learn form this thread and its going to be a positive one. There will be the obvious pictures and videos for all of you. :)

So lets begin!
-------------------------

Nova will be coming home friday!
My plans so far is to really get her trust. Where shes at right now hes very aggressive with his disipline, which is fine to an extent..but Nova seems to be very sensative when it comes to that so shes learned to be very careful around humans. I went to her stall before I left the barn yesterday and called for her and she jumped a foot then froze in place, poor girl.

Also in order to help her loosen up the first few days is going to be grooming and grazing and get her to understand humans are okay to be around. Then I want to start carrot stretches and nose to tail, because shes a VERY stiff horse and maybe half of it is because shes scared to do anything wrong and the fact that she hasn't done ANYTHING in 3 years?

So I will start there. First day will just be walking around and showing her her new home of course!! :) Possibly groom if shes relaxed enough.

OH and she will be getting vetted and checked over soon as well :)

Pictures will come soon enough when shes home!

Hope everyone will enjoy this thread!

kitten_Val 04-27-2010 12:37 PM

Was she abused or something? I mean, why she needs to learn that people are OK? :-)

When I got both mine (however they were completely unhandled plus paint was abused), I did grooming for while every day, stayed with them during feeding time, and let them play in round pen with me being around. Also taking Jemma for walks with some grazing involved was part of my "program". Have fun with your new horse!

HorsesAreForever 04-27-2010 02:01 PM

Well shes been mishandled...

The owner punched her in the face in front of me, because she was turning her head towards him when taking the bridle on so shes very unsure about whats wrong and whats right.

gypsygirl 04-27-2010 02:03 PM

shes really cute !

kmacdougall 04-27-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorsesAreForever (Post 617067)
Well shes been mishandled...

The owner punched her in the face in front of me, because she was turning her head towards him when taking the bridle on so shes very unsure about whats wrong and whats right.

:shock:
So terrible. Good luck with her.

HorsesAreForever 04-28-2010 07:29 PM

Friday is going to be sooo sad, because Im letting go of my horse that I've had for 2 1/2 years. But at the same time its going to be very exciting to be getting Nova!!

Turns out im going to be keeping my stall for one more month, because Nova has never really been turned out much, so we decided to introduce her to the pasture slowly over the month.

1 more dayyy! Then trailering Chance to her new home at 9ish, then heading down to Nova!

dantexeventer 04-28-2010 11:47 PM

Did you vet her before you bought her or are you vetting her after? Just curious, it was unclear from your first post.

HorsesAreForever 04-29-2010 09:27 AM

She will be getting vetted once she gets to my barn, he has garentees on horses he sells so if anything was wrong he would take her back and give the money back. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier.

mom2pride 04-29-2010 04:15 PM

Good luck with her! What a day that's coming up...gonna be busy for sure!!!

HorsesAreForever 04-30-2010 07:18 AM

Oh gosh so todays the day!! It came a lot faster then I thought it was going to!

Ill probably have pictures of some sort when Nova gets to the barn.

Long day ahead - 2 hours to the barn Chance is going to, then 2 hours from there to Nova, then 1 1/2 hours back home! So thats 51/2 hours JUST in the car! *sigh* lol

Ahh wish us luck.
I dont even know if I made the right choice now as far as letting Chance go.. but sadly I have no choices now.