The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Housing stallions? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/housing-stallions-53677/)

SorrelHorse 04-27-2010 12:26 PM

Housing stallions?

Not sure if this is the right forum, but whatever I can go with it.

So I have two paint stallions, Jester and Gringo (AKA Blue) who don't much get along all the time. They are the perfect team when they are being ridden and don't even pin their ears when they get close to another but as soon as the tack is off its a raging horror at the barn.

These two are the ones I am showcasing this summer, Gringo for Stud and Jester just because he's Jester, but I want to keep them in a good housing situation because I can't have a show horse with scars and bite marks all over him because they've been fighting over the stall door.

So here's the situation -

We have a two stall barn with another foaling stall on the end (Foaling stall is in use) and each stall has a small run. We have one very large pasture, and a small pasture that is about two acres. Then a round pen. I had been keeping Gringo at Toni's but he is coming home soon so I need to get everything together. Previously, when we had stallions, we had each one an individual run. But we moved so we no longer have that privelage.

I am keeping our two babies in the round pen with their mommas at the moment, and I am boarding another Mare In Foal for Toni who is due any day now. I am keeping everyone else out on the big pasture.

Suggestions? I could probably ask Toni to keep Gringo a little longer until we have more room, but I am dying to bring him home because I miss the little rat sometimes. :D

SorrelHorse 04-28-2010 11:07 AM

Bump, Anyone have advice?

myhorsesonador 05-30-2010 10:46 AM

My question is, Why did you buy 2 stalloins that you dont have proper housing for?????

horseluver2435 05-30-2010 11:58 AM

^I think they had housing when they first bought the stallions, but then they had to move? That's what I got from the OP. I don't have much advice, but I do agree that if you don't have proper housing for them, the best solution may be to sell one of them. :( I certainly understand you don't want your show horse looking poorly, but I don't know what to say.

Blah, that whole paragraph was badly worded on my part, I apologize.

JustDressageIt 05-30-2010 12:25 PM

Here's what I understand, please correct me if I've read wrong:

You have two stallions and a mare in foal. The stalls are all next to one another, next to a mare, correct?

Can you divide the pasture up? What kind of fencing do you have?

You need to find a good situation for the stallions (so they're not kept with one another, not kept beside one another, and not kept with open mares) with good fencing pronto.

Spyder 05-30-2010 04:17 PM

Easy solution.

Have one stud out in the morning and the other out in the afternoon. While it is nice to have the horses out all day most horses can do just fine being out a few hours at a time.

I know it is extra work but it is the easiest solution and is done where I am ( and no there are not two studs there just the management of available pasture).

Beau Baby 05-30-2010 05:06 PM

Well if you have 2 stalls with runs attatched to them keep the boys in those. Maybe if you have electric fencing fence off a portion of the field for the other horses and put up panels for a special section for the boys. Thats all I could think of.

Honeysuga 05-30-2010 05:29 PM

I like Spyders suggestion, rotate them. Or if you have to have them out at the same time, put up a few strands of hotwire above the existing fence between the runs that way you dont have them fighting through the fence. Maybe put up a few boards or a mesh wire barrier between the stalls too that way they can see each other and socialize but not get to each other to bite or kick.

SorrelHorse 05-31-2010 07:27 PM

Thanks guys. I had four studs before we moved, but when we did move we sold two off and kept Jester and Blue. We didn't expect to have to keep Toni's Mare but there was an emergency that I couldn't ignore. The foal is born now and they have both moved back to Toni's so the problem isn't really there anymore now that I can put Blue and Jester in opposite ends of the barn. I just had Toni keep Blue a little longer until the mare and foal could return home.

We're going to go ahead and get some more fencing and hot wire to divide the pasture up with. It's just easier that way despite the lil' extra expense.