The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Horse Media Rant (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/horse-media-rant-53678/)

ilyTango 04-27-2010 01:48 PM

Horse Media Rant

Before I start, I must say that I think they should have a sub-forum for 'Books' in the above list.

But anyways...a lot of the horse books and video games they have on the market nowadays bother me. I can't recall one I really enjoy-well, maybe Black Beauty. Nothing in them is...true.

Books always seem to be about an insufferable teenage girl who has to overcome some problem or another and then she meets her "dream horse" and they have an amazing bond and only understand each other even though the horse is deemed "unrideable" by everyone else at the stable. Then it ends with her being able to ride and be amazing on the horse, and then all the boys like her because she can ride this crazy horse, and even though everyone hated her at the start they all like her now and it ends happily. Sure, different stories have different plot lines, but give or take a few sentences and changes from my above description, and they're almost all the same.

Games also usually feature a teenage girl who has to do something with her horse to "save the farm" or something like that, and it's annoying, because even though you have to "break" and "train" the horse, they never misbehave after that one training session, and the character or the horse never gets hurt, and never are faced with any problems. Of course, the "breaking" is not real breaking-it's brushing or grooming your horse, or lunging it or something, and then it's good to go and it never bucks, or rears, or bolts, or refuses, and it's just generally not realistic. Now obviously they're not going to have real features in the games, because that would not be fun for the little 12 year olds that play it. Really all these games and movies and such do are enforce the stereotype that the concept of breaking a wild horse is a romantic idea that anyone can do, and if you have a good bond with your pony you'll never have any problems and you can just gallop around the countryside having fun.

I wish people would write good horse books, and make games that aren't meant for 12-year-olds and aren't ridiculous. I apologize for that rant, but I needed to get it out.

ShutUpJoe 04-27-2010 02:01 PM

You need to get out of the teen/children section and start reading some books in the adult section.

Have you read The Truth About Horses, Friends & My Life As A Coward by Sarah Gibson?

kmacdougall 04-27-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe (Post 617021)
You need to get out of the teen/children section and start reading some books in the adult section.

Have you read The Truth About Horses, Friends & My Life As A Coward by Sarah Gibson?

Agreed. Also, Dick Francis wrote great tales of horses.

ShutUpJoe 04-27-2010 03:38 PM

You can also try and find True Horse Stories by Steve Miller and Theresa (?).

ilyTango 04-27-2010 03:50 PM

Oh thank god there actually are decent equine books. I gave up on the horse genre long ago, and have never looked back, which would explain why I haven't actually searched for good books and am therefore ranting about it in this thread. I'm definitely going to look for all the ones mentioned above.

Speed Racer 04-27-2010 04:04 PM

Try any or all of these:

Sweet William: Story of Old Horse

Chosen by a Horse

The Horsemen

There are any number of adult horse-themed books. You just need to get out of the kiddie section of the bookstore! :wink:

farmpony84 04-27-2010 04:07 PM

I'll let Mike know about your suggestion for a books subforum.

PBritton2U 04-27-2010 09:21 PM

Umm, ::sheepishly raises hands:: I write adult books that feature horses. 'Course, they're romance novels. My December '09 book (Harlequin Books) is about a woman who's forced to give up her show horse after a terrible accident. I loved writing the story. You can order it through Barnes or Amazon or something. I think I posted an excerpt on my web site: Pamela Britton Home.

One thing I wanted to mention is that publishers are like Wal*Mart. If a certain widget sells really well, they want more of those widgets. That's why you see a glut of the same-old, same-old horse stories. And why you see a boatload of vampire books in the romance and Y/A market (thanks, Twilight!). And suspense novels about women in jeopardy and the super cop that saves them. Drives. Me. Nuts. But it is what it is. The trick is to find an author that can twist the "formula" around so that it seems fresh.

Happy reading!

Pamela Britton-Baer
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 04-27-2010 09:25 PM

I love the ones with cops. The women doesnt have to be a maiden in distress.... just like the cop books... probably cus my dad and brothers and husband work for federal law enforcement type agencies......

I'm going to write a book someday.....

ShutUpJoe 04-27-2010 09:29 PM

Ha ha Britton ::blushes:: watching New Moon right now.