The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Tack for a Black Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/tack-black-horse-53700/)

Cinnys Whinny 04-27-2010 05:21 PM

Tack for a Black Horse

1 Attachment(s)
Well, Cinny finally arrives next weekend, YAY and well...I've been thinking of tack colors. I have a nice close contact saddle that I have used on my quarterhorses FOREVER and I LOVE it, however...it's a color that I always thought was UGLY, Oakbark. I't has always looked fine on my brown horses and the appy and paint but now I'm afraid that with that my poor black horse will look like a Halloween FREAK with the black and orange. And then the more I thought about it, I started thinking only black leather would look good. What do you think?

Does anybody have pictures of their black horses wit their tack so I can get some ideas? Thank you so much!

Here's a pic of the color saddle I have.

rocky pony 04-27-2010 05:33 PM

Hmm..I don't have any pictures or personal experience with tack for black horses but I would think a deep brown would look really nice.
But you know, saddle pad colour probably has a big impact too. I bet the right colour could balance things out with your current saddle, though..I'd look into that. If you don't have different colour pads on hand, once he gets there you could try putting the saddle on alone and holding up objects of different colours just to get an idea..or if you want to try before he arrives you could always try the same just placing the saddle on something a similar colour to him, lol
It's a thought. Good luck!

ponyboy 04-27-2010 05:36 PM

I don't think the color is that important if you love the saddle, but to me...
black or grey horse = black tack, chestnut horse = tan/reddish tack, any other color = brown tack.

Northern 04-27-2010 06:13 PM

I agree with PonyBoy!

Scoutrider 04-27-2010 06:21 PM

Black or dark brown tack might look better depending on the color of the saddle pad, if you plan on showing in the new tack, black is pretty much frowned upon in the hunter ring, which may or may not affect you depending on your plans. I'd say dark brown/havana over black leather.

Cinnys Whinny 04-27-2010 06:43 PM

Yes, I am planning on showing and I know that there are Black hunt seats and close contact saddles out there but I also know people try to figure out if it's some weird dressage saddle or not ha ha.

Indyhorse 04-27-2010 07:24 PM

My mare isn't ALL black (she has some white across her rump and a small bit along her mane) but she is mostly black, and I use a real dark red tone (mahogany) saddle with a black seat on her, it looks really good. I also use a hunter green saddle pad, it sets off really nicely (and doesn't look christmas-y, the saddle isn't THAT red!)

Now it's a western saddle, so I don't know if you can get an english saddle in the same color. This picture is not her exact saddle, but it's almost identical:
http://www.westernsaddlesdirect.co.uk/images/wp15.jpg

Cinnys Whinny 04-27-2010 07:48 PM

Oh, I was just thinking of going with a classic white saddle pad in the show ring. I didn't know you could use different color pads with english classes in the show ring now...when I used to show back in 100 BC it was classic white only....You can REALLY show with colored pads in english classes now??

MyBoyPuck 04-27-2010 09:04 PM

My horse is dark bay, almost black in winter. He looks best in a Havana colored saddle. If you're in a discipline that frowns on black, Havana's probably the next best bet.

ridergirl23 04-27-2010 09:09 PM

I have always loved black tack with a white saddle pad on black horses! it always looks so elegant :]