The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Parelli Level 4 Finesse.. what do you see??? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/parelli-level-4-finesse-what-do-53727/)

HorsesAreForever 04-27-2010 09:10 PM

Parelli Level 4 Finesse.. what do you see???

I found this video on youtube, and I was pretty impressed by it. BUT I dont have the eye that most do on here!

So I wanted to know what others saw in this video! Maybe point out where you see certin things.. maybe some could learn from it..and start to develop the eye for certin things..

Try and keep it some what positive. I thought it was a nice video all together and thought they made a great team!!

paintsrule 04-27-2010 09:36 PM

Looks like what anyone with a well trained horse could do with out having to audition for the success or approve it with the all knowing leader. Or without spending thousands of dollars to buy something they could have figured out through expierence and a GOOD hands on trainer to guide them, and hey, maybe there horse would be happy.

But hey that right thurr is savvy, they even bought the thousand dollar t shirt, or should I say carrot stick.

Snaps for them.

smrobs 04-27-2010 10:04 PM

He doesn't look so bad. A little bit unbalanced on that second time she asked for the lope (hence the flipping head) but looks like an enjoyable little horse to ride. There are a couple times when he looks a little sluggish to her leg but that might be nothing. His stops are a little squishy for my taste but I guess not everyone wants their horse to plant their butt the instant they cue for it LOL. He is a cute little horse and they fit well together but they didn't do much that I would consider terribly advanced. I did most of those things yesterday while working cattle.

Spirithorse 04-27-2010 10:30 PM

I thought they did a beautiful job. A couple times the rider's upper body could have been more engaged but other than that, wonderful ride.

kevinshorses 04-27-2010 11:34 PM

What finesse level are you when you can do it with out hanging on the reins. I have 3 horses that could do everything on that video but without taking the slack out of the reins.

Northern 04-28-2010 02:14 PM

Hope she sticks to the 80/20 % rule!

Parelli says one should not spend more than 20% of riding time on a contact rein, to his credit. I was thinking, also, that she could do what she did there on a loose rein, but maybe it's to prove horse accepts bit.

IllComeALopin 04-28-2010 02:43 PM

I was not aware that in Parelli Level 4 Finesse you could use spurs...

so; are those special Parelli spurs, or just normal spurs?

Alwaysbehind 04-28-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern (Post 618298)
Parelli says one should not spend more than 20% of riding time on a contact rein, to his credit. I was thinking, also, that she could do what she did there on a loose rein, but maybe it's to prove horse accepts bit.

How do they do dressage then? I thought Linda was now saying dressage is a good thing and the basis of dressage is contact and accepting the bit.

Speed Racer 04-28-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 618322)
How do they do dressage then? I thought Linda was now saying dressage is a good thing and the basis of dressage is contact and accepting the bit.

I can't imagine riding any English discipline without having direct contact, especially dressage.

I imagine ole Pat is talking about Western riding, where the idea is to be on a loose rein.

Northern 04-28-2010 03:07 PM

Well, some Parelli party line has changed (like re: helmets), but I don't think the 80/20 rule has changed. PP said whatever specialization you practice, (that'd include Linda doing dressage) the contact rein should be only 20% of the time.