The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Pasos&TWHs... Questions Size, Age, Gaits? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/pasos-twhs-questions-size-age-gaits-53739/)

JaceysPasos 04-27-2010 11:04 PM

Pasos&TWHs... Questions Size, Age, Gaits?

I have a few questions for you all? What size of a horse would be good for be I am 5'2 and about 145-150 Pounds. I have a Paso Fino that is 14 hands that I've been riding and working with alot lately, but someone said he looks to small for me. I Highly doubt this because I'm such a small person, but I just wanted to know what you think and reccommend. I Have always ridden 3/4 TWH X 1/4 Thouroughbred Crosses, and they always have the most amazing Gaits but I have never ridden a horse under 15.2 Hands, so I'm definitely not used to the smaller size of Pasos. I do feel a bit akward but my Paso, is an amazingly gaited boy and I'm very much happy with how he's turning out. Also he is just a month shy of three years, I started riding him about two weeks ago, do you think this is to young to ride him. I always started my TWH X TBs at 2-3 years and they have always turned out beautifully. I have never ridden one that didn't have a 17 MPH + gait. My Paso has a 17.5 MPH gait is that normal for a Paso? Thanks for your info and help!

charlene1985 04-28-2010 09:14 AM

Pasos are very "hardy" horses. They are built to carry weight. Im 5' and 140-145 and I ride pasos that are ranging from 14hh to 14.2hh and I have NEVER had a problem. Kinda think of them as big ponies, u know how they can carry a lot of weight for their size...same thing. We usually start our horses around 3 and my mom has a mare thats 17 y/o and no problems. Also if it makes u feel any better when my hubby started riding he was riding a 14.3hh paso and he is 6'1" and 220lbs and she would carry him just as well as she carried me. And we ride FAST rides usually 20-30 miles in 3-4 hours. He now has a 16hh walker just because HE looked SOOOO funny on that small horse, but I wouldnt worry about it if i were u. Also yes pasos do a quick gait, never clocked it but 17 mph sounds about right...hope i helped

Macslady 04-28-2010 08:34 PM

My feeling is pick the size you are comfortable with. Enjoy the ride and to heck what anyone else thinks. Your horse is for your enjoyment. I have known people who were persuaded to get a larger horse and ended up getting rid of it because they were intimidated by size.

Thyme 09-07-2010 11:39 PM

I am 5'3" anout 112lb (without saddle) and my 14hh Peruvian/Arab does't even act like I am there. I bought him from a lady who was about 160lb and watched him just float about the ground with her easy as pie. They are built to carry good amount of weight for their size.

Shenandoah 09-08-2010 12:52 PM

The "appearance" of size is a relative thing. If someone has spent most of their time at a stable where most horses are 17 hand thoroughbreds and warmbloods - then yes, they're going to think your horse looks too small for you.
Likewise, if someone is used to being around the smaller breeds, they're likely to think that someone riding a draft has a horse that's way too big.
Perception is a funny thing.
If you feel comfortable with the horse, and the horse isn't giving any indications that he's carrying too much weight, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm 5'2" and ride a 14.3 hand Paso/Morgan cross, and find his size absolutely perfect.

churumbeque 09-09-2010 06:30 PM

If they are anything like the Peruvian they do not ride them until 4. They are not fully developed until 5 or 6 I personally would wait and not rush them. I definately would not be gaiting them at high speeds when they are young.

Deej 09-22-2010 07:33 PM

My lovely little Peruvian Mare is 14.1. I am 5'3 and 140#. I love her size! Easy on, easy off. I ride trail and I"m always hoping off to move branches or rocks or Peeing!!!. OH! And its so much easier to duck branches! Ride on what your comfortable with. And have fun!

warthog 10-12-2010 12:56 AM

This is a big issue among paso fino owners and breeders so first the 50 cent explanation

If it staggers when you get on and has huge sink in the fetlocks when you walk or gait, you're too big.

Now the 5 dolllar explanation

height is one of the absolute worst traits to use to determine if the rider is oversize. And weight isn't a lot better because is you use the 25% rule on a fat horse it will be overweighted and if you use it on a real tank that's strong as an ox and all you do is corto around the arena twice and get off the horse can actually carry a bit more if the ground is firm and it has great suspensories also and is fit and muscular.

If you seriously have any doubts, video yourself riding the horse. But do remember just because your butt may be bigger than the horse's butt is no reason to get a larger horse. You might want a bit longer saddle though if you have a lot of rear overhang, and maybe a sport bra.:wink:

In the US we have this general rules that the bigger it is, the better it is. Baloney. I and my SO ride 13 2 paso fino mares. He's 6 1 but slim. I'm 5'5 and medium (from 125 to 140 depending on which year you're talking about) These mares have no problems at all carrying us and we've logged hundreds of miles on them. His favorite is good for about 8 miles. Flexy suspensories and lightly muscled. Mine has done 30 with no problems. At hunter pace rides they all think she's a Conemarra pony - a real tank.

If you watch old cowboy movies and look at art from the middle ages you'll see that people who rode horses all day long for long distances did NOT ride tall horses. They rode STURDY horses that stayed sound, were tough, healthy, strong and willing (and gaited). These are people who had to get on and off 20 times a day maybe. No mounting blocks or trees stumps were available. They didn't WANT tall. I know several rodeo cowboys who are always selling their horses because they're too tall.

When we go on trail rides you can guess who gets off to move limbs or open gates - us on our short horses. We ride for three hours, then go dancing while others are wrapping and icing sore muscles and eating pain killers. You can get a serious strain just getting on these monsters. I know because I have a bunch of them next door and I'm " ARE you CRAZY? (when I'm asked to ride one.) If I fell off that thing I'd be killed. It's as high as house. My mama didn't raise a fool!"

If I want big I'll buy an elephant or at least a camel. I LOVE short horses!!!

By the way - don't trust a weight tape. They are really off a lot. Our 14 hand endurance paso fino is 925 pound. Her 14 1 sister is a bit more but can't carry as much - weaker front suspensories. Our 13 2's are 750 or so when they're slim and fit. Probably 800 now. We have at least 5 that are over 1000 pounds at 14 2 or a bit more. WE just really prefer the short ones.

Gizmo 12-18-2010 07:28 PM

I personally don't think that you are too big. I am the same size as you and have owned a 14.2 Lippit Morgan and a 14.2 Mustang and both haven't had any problems carrying me and no one has said anything about me looking too big for them. If your horse is carrying your weight fine and doesn't seem to be struggling who cares what anyone else thinks.

equiniphile 12-18-2010 07:31 PM

I have a 14.3hh Paso Fino and I ride him (5'10" and 115lb) and my mom rides him (5'10") and he's fine. Most paso's have a Corto and/or Largo as their gaits, the Largo is faster and doesn't have as high knee action as the Corto, which is a very cornered gait. My Paso is a bit different, I think he does a TWH gait, it's kind of weird but very smooth.