The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   My diet -- opinions? Additions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/my-diet-opinions-additions-53743/)

Deerly 04-28-2010 12:40 AM

My diet -- opinions? Additions?

Hi everyone!

I wanted some feedback on my horse's diet. He came with it and I'm wondering what the experts here think and if there is something he could have added/changed?

He gets 1 flake of grass in the morning and 1 flake alfalfa in the evening.

Three days a week he gets a mixture of the following:

Natural Glo Rice Bran Powder
Horse Chow 100
Alfalfa oat Low Starch Pellets
Integrity Lite
Shredded Beat Pulp (soaked)
Flax seed/lin seed mix
Finish Line Electrolites
AniPsyll
Horse Health Products Vita-C
ProBiotic Blend

He's a big 6 year old quarter horse with foot problems. He's not currently being ridden until we work through his lameness so his exercise now consists of hand walks and being turned out.

Thanks! :D

wild_spot 04-28-2010 12:48 AM

Wow, complex! I don't know hardly any of those products, different country, so no comment - But I subscribe to the KISS method when feeding - Keep It Simple Stupid!

I feed a base of Speedi-Beet (My guys have 24/7 turnout with a mineral lick) and add calories as needed in the form of either Copra or a complete feed like Prydes Easi-Sport or Hygain Zero.

Peggysue 04-28-2010 09:49 AM

why is he only feed three days a week instead of daily??

Being in CA I would go with Triple Crown 30% or 12% supplement with his other supplements and cut the rest of it out it is not needed

churumbeque 04-28-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerly (Post 617806)
Hi everyone!

I wanted some feedback on my horse's diet. He came with it and I'm wondering what the experts here think and if there is something he could have added/changed?

He gets 1 flake of grass in the morning and 1 flake alfalfa in the evening.

Three days a week he gets a mixture of the following:

Natural Glo Rice Bran Powder
Horse Chow 100
Alfalfa oat Low Starch Pellets
Integrity Lite
Shredded Beat Pulp (soaked)
Flax seed/lin seed mix
Finish Line Electrolites
AniPsyll
Horse Health Products Vita-C
ProBiotic Blend

He's a big 6 year old quarter horse with foot problems. He's not currently being ridden until we work through his lameness so his exercise now consists of hand walks and being turned out.

Thanks! :D

I would like to see what he looks like before commenting on his diet but not nearly enough forage.

Deerly 04-28-2010 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
He's getting the extra food 3 days a week but every day he receives grass flake in the morning and alfalfa in the evening.

He's a good weight right now, the vet just came out this morning to x-ray his foot and said he looks good in regards to that, doesn't need to gain or lose.

He has chronic lamenitis and the vet suggested he keep a low carb diet to help prevent a re-occurrence.

churumbeque 04-28-2010 06:09 PM

It is hard to tell from the angle of the picture he looks healthy but he looks sucked up. My horses get a minimum of 6 flakes of grass hay a day so your rations seem like not enough forage.

MyBoyPuck 04-28-2010 08:21 PM

Horses need 1.5% of their total body weight in hay per day for forage. Assuming a 1000 lb horse, unless that on flake weighs 15 pounds, it's not enough forage. It certainly seems like a complicated diet. A lot of the ingredients in those foods contain vitamins and nutrients that might be too high or when combined or worse, cancel things out. If you can get away with just hay and one pelleted diet, he'd probably be better off for it.