The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   ~ Closed-Minded Mare -- Help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/%7E-closed-minded-mare-help-53796/)

flamingauburnmustang 04-28-2010 05:34 PM

~ Closed-Minded Mare -- Help?

Is there any way I can get Night Heat to try any OTHER form of treat, like apples or bread sticks (anything)? Because the only treat she will ever touch is carrots, which becomes a problem because A) carrots go off faster and B) sometimes I run out of carrots then I have nothing to give to her... :roll:

The minute I even show her an apple she will turn away, and bread or sugar she doesn't even realize that they are edible. :shock:

Does anyone else have this problem, and is there anyway to get her to taste it and maybe it could taste nice to her after all? (just like trying to get a child to eat veggies that may look disgusting, but taste really yummy) :wink:

themacpack 04-28-2010 05:46 PM

Our Aero came to us with no idea that she could eat apples or carrots. She would gladly eat the packaged horse treats all day long. We would even try putting them in her grain - only to find every single bite of fruit/veggie, sucked clean of every last bit of grain, in her tub at the end of her meal.
Holly, on the other hand, hasn't met anything she hasn't tried to eat -- she LOVES fruits and veggies. It was probably about three or four months after Holly came to live with us that one day Aero just reached over and took a carrot and ate it without blinking an eye. She's the same with apple now, too. I think she was just jealous that Holly was having something she wasn't - not sure she likes them even now, but she eats them like mad.
Honestly, though, it's not like they "need" anything anyway.

flamingauburnmustang 04-28-2010 05:59 PM

LOL. I know, I just like to have something nice for her to nibble at the end of each ride. :mrgreen:

Speed Racer 04-28-2010 06:09 PM

Hmm, I don't know if you have the Manna Pro treats where you are, but I haven't found a horse yet that didn't like 'em. I call 'em horsey crack! :wink:

My old gelding's favorite treats were carrots. When I got him as a 4 y/o he didn't even know what a carrot was, and I had a lot of fun trying out different things to see what he thought was yummy.

His preferences, from lowest to highest, were Manna Pro horse treats, apples, and carrots. He wouldn't eat anything else as a treat, and thought peppermints were my way of trying to poison him! :lol:

Until the day he died you could stuff him full of apples and horse treats, and he'd still look at you as if to say, "Okay, those were nice and all, but where are my CARROTS?!"

JustDressageIt 04-28-2010 06:10 PM

Can you pick up some carrot flavored treats? Or is that too off-the-norm for her?

JustDressageIt 04-28-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 618490)
Hmm, I don't know if you have the Manna Pro treats where you are, but I haven't found a horse yet that didn't like 'em. I call 'em horsey crack! :wink:

I have met one horse that didn't like them! ONE! That's it! FGR's Rem is the pickiest horse I have ever - ever - met. Super sweet, but super picky. She *will* eat Start-To-Finish Apple nuggets though...

flamingauburnmustang 04-28-2010 06:19 PM

I will have a look around for Manna Pro treats to see if we have them here, then I will let you know if we can make it two horses that don't like them. :wink:

I actually haven't thought of carrot flavoured treats....hmmm.....

Speed Racer 04-28-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 618495)
I have met one horse that didn't like them! ONE! That's it! FGR's Rem is the pickiest horse I have ever - ever - met. Super sweet, but super picky. She *will* eat Start-To-Finish Apple nuggets though...

ZOMG! Really?! I guess it was bound to happen at some point. :-P

JustDressageIt 04-28-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 618515)
ZOMG! Really?! I guess it was bound to happen at some point. :-P

I know, hey?!?! I was a bit shocked.
Then again, Denny may as well be called "hoover" - he will eat anything.

Carleen 04-28-2010 10:22 PM

Have you tried feeding her Stud Muffins? I don't know if you even have anywhere that sells them near you, but I have seen about 20 different brands of the same thing. They're like horse "cookies" made out of molasses and oats and such. Heck, I've even tried one. It tasted like molasses - not very great to humans (not very bad either though :wink: LOL) but horses find them delicious.
There might even be an recipe for them online somewhere, they probably wouldn't be hard to make.