The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Hail + Tin Roof = BAD (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/hail-tin-roof-%3D-bad-53828/)

SorrelHorse 04-28-2010 08:44 PM

Hail + Tin Roof = BAD

Hehe^^

Walked Rebel over to Toni's arena, first time away from home on his own and it was bright sunny weather. Then about half way through our ride it started to hail. It wasn't so bad at first. He did seem bothered by it but I just kept going....I didn't want him thinking it was something to be scared of. Then it got harder, and I couldn't hear myself think. That's when it got bad, and he bolted around the arena and absolutely exploded. I didn't want to get thrown so I did an Emergency Exit and stepped off, grabbing onto a rope she had on the ceiling for kids to swing on when no riding is going on. (I do that with Jester just for fun, and he's learned to turn and walk back to me so I can drop back on) But in this case I dropped to the ground and went to catch my horse.

Once I had him calmed, the hail started to leave so I just walked him a few circles and then got back on for a little more work. He was fine for a little while, then the hail started again and this time as soon as that piece of ice hit the roof he jumped ten feet in the air and then to the left. This time Toni was there and got up to grab him while I jumped off. Then Toni just unclipped his reins and let him get comfortable, and once he was he came up to me and nuzzled my arm like "I'm sorry, Mom!" so I took him back to Toni's barn and put him in a stall.

I left him there next to my stud that I also have boarded there, because 1) It was still hailing and I didn't want him to get eaten by evil balls of ice and 2) Our three stalls are in use already so I didn't have an area to put him to dry out from our ride, since he was sweating after his stressful day.

So anyway, that's my fun story. :)

MyBoyPuck 04-28-2010 08:47 PM

Oh, poor baby. That had to have been scary for him. You did the right thing. You took care of him and he'll remember it. I had a similar event today with gale force winds and a peacock, but that's another story.

SorrelHorse 04-28-2010 09:02 PM

I know it, poor boy. He was scared out of his mind :(

and a peacock? Lol ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 04-28-2010 09:05 PM

My horse has issues with animals. Last year we came across a llama while out trail riding. Same thing, spinning freaking out horse, me emergency dismounting, him walking with his head buried in my chest for the next mile. I felt so bad for him. The peacock actually ended up okay. I'm pretty sure he remembered I took care of him during the llama incident and trusted me to keep him at a safe distance. He was rigid, but never attempted to run away or do anything scary.

SorrelHorse 04-28-2010 10:10 PM

Hehe, well, at least he didn't try and throw you. Then again Rebel really didn't either, just scared I suppose. It was like he was being shot at or something, Lol :D

MyBoyPuck 04-28-2010 10:13 PM

Our horses sound a lot alike. Not a mean bone in their bodies, but that doesn't stop them from being afraid from time to time. Can't blame any creature for that.

SorrelHorse 04-28-2010 10:24 PM

Yup, exactly. Rebel is the sweetest thing, follows me around like a dog and loves everyone who comes up to him. Hell, after I got off he wanted to hop right into my lap he was so scared. Granted I obviously had to shoe him off before he stepped on me, but it was sweet that he wanted me to protect him.

MyBoyPuck 04-28-2010 10:40 PM

Yeah, after the llama scare, I hand walked Puck back into the woods a good 1/2 mile with his head in my chest before I found a rock wall to mount again. When I finally got back into the saddle, he let out a deep sigh and his whole body let go. He seemed so **** relieved to be done with his ordeal. I just wish he knew he weighs 1150 lbs!

SorrelHorse 04-29-2010 01:48 AM

I know it :)

ChingazMyBoy 04-29-2010 05:06 AM

Well maybe next time it hails it might be better? But I don't think you'll be planning on meeting hail again soon? Haha. Glad you didn't "fall" off but your dismount sounded pretty epic to me.