The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Annoying pony. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/annoying-pony-53845/)

Meuhmeuhcow 04-28-2010 10:56 PM

Annoying pony.

She's about 10h high, and i cant get her to canter when im lunging her, and if i do, she pulls so hard its not funny. i figured that it might just be because she cant really bend that great, so i left it for ages and just continued to teach her to jump (at a trot) and walk and trot around, then after a couple of months, asked for a canter. the same thing happened. im getting so fed up with her almost pulling me off my feet that its driving me insane

.Delete. 04-28-2010 10:57 PM

Bend her like you suggested her problem was?

Meuhmeuhcow 04-28-2010 11:04 PM

i think she knows perfectly well how to bend, she's just doing it on purpose cos she dosent want to canter. The only other option i have is to nail a post into the ground and tie her onto it.

.Delete. 04-29-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meuhmeuhcow (Post 618963)
i think she knows perfectly well how to bend, she's just doing it on purpose cos she dosent want to canter. The only other option i have is to nail a post into the ground and tie her onto it.

Typically when horses pull against a lunge line when canter is because they cannot balance themselves right, which yes bending does help with that.

Quote:

i think she knows perfectly well how to bend,
This made me giggle a bit. Bending is not something you teach a horse and just let it go because "they know how to bend". Horses get stiff just like us humans do, and we stretch to help us with stiffness, bending is the same with horses. It helps the horse be more relaxed, get some "kinks" out. Bending should be something done before and sometimes after every ride to loosen up your horse and help it relax.

Quote:

The only other option i have is to nail a post into the ground and tie her into it
What on earth is that going to help??? Nothing at all, that is absurd. :shock:

IllComeALopin 04-29-2010 12:52 PM

To me; her issue isn't lack of bending, its lack of forward motivation... so is pulling on you to aviod going forward.

My prescription: get a long lunge whip and wack away. :lol: Get that little pony moving, not resisting.

Shananigan 04-29-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

What on earth is that going to help??? Nothing at all, that is absurd. :shock:
I do agree. I've never heard of it. Are you sure she knows what bending is? How long has it been since you've asked her to bend? I'm not being snotty, just curious. I agree, .Delete.. Try getting her to bend before you start lunging her. She is a small girl, do you ride her at all? If you do, try collecting her then asking her to cantar. Work with it maybe off her back, untill she gets the general idea of cantering while bending. Then try it on the ground. Do you have a surcingal and side reins? Confirm it with someone first, but maybe you could put a very gental bend on her and asking her so that she gets a clue. Of course each time you changed direction, you would have to adjust the reins, but it'd be worth it if you could getting her going correctly for awhile.

My boy Rebel use to do this too me. Hence his name however. What I had to do was right before you saw him try to pull or just as he started to was give a firm tug then release. Don't play tug-o-war with them, because you'll never win. Also, when they're pulling give an "AHHH AHHH" in a repremanding tone. Like I said, not too terribly hard, you don't want to knock them off balance, but just enough to get their attention.

What conditions are you lunging in? Large arena, small round pen, in the open? Does anyone ride her? Can you drive her? The more information, I think, the more people will be able to give you better advice!:D

Anyone whom see's my information as wrong, please correct it. These are just thoughts and suggestions.:shock::-)

corinowalk 04-29-2010 01:08 PM

If you ride at a stable with a ring, try free lunging her. Maybe this girl just needs more practice at the canter. Turn her loose, crack that whip a bit and tell her in your 'big momma voice' CANTER. When she does, make a big fuss! I also agree with the bending and flexing. It will help. Sometimes they just need a bit more space to get working up to it.

.Delete. 04-29-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IllComeALopin (Post 619387)
To me; her issue isn't lack of bending, its lack of forward motivation... so is pulling on you to aviod going forward.

My prescription: get a long lunge whip and wack away. :lol: Get that little pony moving, not resisting.

I do agree with this to an extent, forward motion is needed but i guarantee that pony is still going to pull her off her feet. Balance is still needed, which bending and other exercises like that.

koomy56 04-29-2010 02:39 PM

When you say she's pulling you off your feet, is she pulling to leave the circle?

.Delete. 04-29-2010 03:29 PM

I think she means the pony is shouldering out?