The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Is my old man to old (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/my-old-man-old-53856/)

BLAZERIVERSONG 04-29-2010 03:44 AM

Is my old man to old

I am finally in the position to get a horse float and would love to join a trail riding group. The only problem I can see is my horse turns 19 this year. I have floated him a few times in the 11 years I have owned him and he was always ok to float just kinda fell asleep which made him funny on corners. I was wondering of anyone has done a similar thing with there horse at this age. And if they encountered any problems with starting a horse floating and trail riding at this stage of there life.
Posted via Mobile Device

upnover 04-29-2010 09:27 AM

I don't consider 19 old at all! Most of our school horses are at least 19! Several of them are into their 20's and still get hauled around for trail rides. If you're worried I would keep a close watch on him and make sure he's fit enough for the work you're going to be asking him to do and make sure he stays sound if he's working hard. But he should be just fine.

WSArabians 04-29-2010 11:02 AM

I don't think 19 is that old at all, either. If he's still willing and healthy, give 'er!

writer23 04-29-2010 11:05 AM

Just take your time and go slow and go for it! Just watch out for those snakes and spiders.

smrobs 04-29-2010 11:32 AM

Have to agree. 19 isn't old at all. My old horse was hauled everywhere and used for ranch work until he was about 24 (retired due to navicular and arthritis). I have seen horses be good trail and working mounts well into their late 20's and sometimes even their 30's.

Earlywinefarm 04-29-2010 01:10 PM

Oh 19 isnt old in my book at all!!! I would just take it slow for a bit and see how it goes! I bet he will do just great! I have a mare that is 28 and when we head out for a ride she has a fit when she doesn't get to go. She looks as good at 28 as she did when she was 19. Of course we don't ride her much and when we do it is small little rides just to get her out and make her feel special. I think she feels replaced when we take the young ones out!! LOL

flamingauburnmustang 04-29-2010 01:22 PM

I don't see any problem at all, as long as he is fit and willing to do it, go ahead. Some horses are ridden when they are well into their twenties. Just keep a close eye on him, and when he's had enough, he'll be sure to let you know! :wink:

BLAZERIVERSONG 04-29-2010 06:08 PM

Many thanks to all for the positive encouraging replies I received. It was nice to hear that many people have golden oldies and still use them to trail ride. Over the next few months I will get my old man a fitter and I really look forward to our new venture. Any tips on getting him a bit more awake in the float would be much appreciated. Thanks again to all.

Wallaby 04-29-2010 06:20 PM

Psh, 19 isn't old! Lacey is 25 and I still trailer her all over (she's spent atleast 10 hours in the trailer since this time last year alone). We also go on 4 hour off-property trail rides on a regular basis (lately it's been about once a month) and she loves it. She's still raring to go when it's time to head back to the trailer.

As long as he reacts well to the stress and is reasonably fit, I don't see a reason why that would be a problem. :)

Amir 04-29-2010 09:53 PM

My friend would take her daughters 23 year old to gymkhanas and jumping competitions most weekends and he would be trail ridden during the week and he did great. He's fit and healthy and loves his work. 19 isn't too old for taking him to some trail rides at all.