The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Candi's 6 week post op check up was real good. :) video (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/candis-6-week-post-op-check-53863/)

HalfPass 04-29-2010 09:25 AM

Candi's 6 week post op check up was real good. :) video

Hi everyone.
Well it has been six weeks since my mare had her stifle surgery and I had the vet do her check up yesterday.
We took x-rays and she palpated her stilfes.
The x-rays look wonderful and the vet says there is a minimal amount of swelling around the stifle joints which she says will disipate over time. Not to be concerned about it.

She is very pleased with the progress at this point.

Here is a video clip from last week that I had a friend take. Candi is full of herself and we are still handwalking only at this time.
She seems content. She has managed to put a bit of weight on, and I am pleased with the progress report as well.

Anxious to move on from the 30 min of hand walking but we will follow directions and take it one day at a time.

4.23.10 video by Steener_421 - Photobucket

Once the round pen is dry I will coninue on with 2-3 days a week of groound poles. We had started this, but with the funky weather I have not been able to continue. But it looks like we will have about 7-10 days of really nice weather after today....
Yay...for sunshine and good progress reports.:lol:

HP

MIEventer 04-29-2010 09:37 AM

I think that is absolutely wonderful! You must be so excited!!!

Candi is a beautiful mare!

HalfPass 05-01-2010 09:56 AM

Thanks MIE,
Yes I am excited. The vet is going to e-mail me some new things to start doing with her. At this point I am up to about a 30-40 minute hand walk with her and sometimes we go over ground poles. The weather has been funky so I didn't have much opportunity to use the poles over the last week. We had a jumping clinic at our barn which closed off the indoor and then another event that closed the indoor plus a confused mother nature...
Looks like I will get some good weather for a while and be able to do a bit more....
I suppose I will be totally satified when she is back under saddle and has no lamness. but for now i am excited things are healing well.
Halfpass:wink:

MIEventer 05-08-2010 08:35 PM

How are things going darling???

HalfPass 05-08-2010 08:43 PM

Hey you...
Well actually I still have not spoke with the vet about what is next in the progressin for her rehab.

Candi on the other hand had a naughty outburst that I ended up hurting my thumb. I thought for sure I broke the thing....

You know there is only so much I can do when she has an explosion. I can not throw her into work when she does this crap because she can not really "work" So I do my best to shut it down, but it is not always easy.

So I have had to medicate her for her my own good the last 2 days.
My thumb/ hand is better and just has a terrible bruise on it where her hind hoof caught it.

None of this naughty crap will happen when she can be worked on a regular basis but it is hard.

Today we did some new things and she went into a small re-hab grass turnout while I sat outside and stayed near to make sure she didn't "burst" into a freenzy or naughtiness...lol

It is tough to be a youngster in re-hab...

But we deal with things the best we can...

thanks for checking in on us Kim. Your support throughout this thing has totally helped me and I doooooo appreciate it! :)

halfpass